This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Forerunner 955 Status

What is the latest timing expectation for the Garmin Forerunner 955? I’m trying to hold off replacing my 935 and am getting anxious.

• I think so too. The question is how high the UVP will be and whether there is any added value to Fenix 6. I would like to buy the Fenix 6 and I'm still waiting, because one Forerunner would be enough for me. Maybe the 655 too...

• solar/non-solar

Interesting idea, although that then implies solar = "Pro" feature set (Wifi = Music + Maps?) and non-solar lacks those?

The idea of solar is neat, especially in what they have achieved with the Instinct.  The F6 solar line seems to lack meaningful improvement.

I am still running an FR935 and aching to upgrade but won't go to the 945 at this time with it's age (even without an upgrade this year next year would seem certain) - wish I had bought one last holiday season when some sales really drove price down.

My biggest desire for the next gen is less bezel (weighs against effective solar) and continued battery / screen / speed / size improvements that we typically "expect" for the evolution of the tech.  I'd also like to see decent OWS use again as  my 935 seems to be a bit crazy. :)

I guess because I've never been that interested in the 735xt series, but I sort of wish it would die off.  A "non-pro" 955 seems like it would roughly fit the 735 de-featuring.  It's true the original 735 had no barometric altimeter, but if I recall most (even middle-lower end) garmin devices include that now (for stair counting?).

It's fun to think about regardless.

• wish I had bought one last holiday season when some sales really drove price down.

Yea I got my 945 for 20% off through BCBS. Made it a much better upgrade from my 935. I do think the feature set is much better but for just workouts, its mostly the same. Battery life with the new features is way lower. It's probably not worth the upgrade at this point since a spring release is very likely

• Apple watch has an emergency button that call 911 and provides your location. It also sends your emergency contacts your location. Its a pretty brilliant.

I'm assuming that you aren't aware of the similar functionality on most of the Garmin watches?  (They don't call 911, which does seem to be an issue.  But they do call your emergency contacts.)

There was an article in Runners World about this a while ago.

I'm wondering if the Apple Watch changes who it calls based on geographic location.  911 is an American phone number.  Other countries have their own.  Just how smart is the Apple Watch.

• I'm wondering if the Apple Watch changes who it calls based on geographic location.  911 is an American phone number.  Other countries have their own.  Just how smart is the Apple Watch.

Press release from when the Series 5 was released: https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2019/09/apple-unveils-apple-watch-series-5/#:~:text=International%20emergency%20calling%20also%20works%20with%20fall%20detection%2C,complete%20calls%20to%20emergency%20services%20when%20traveling%20internationally.

International Emergency Calling

For added personal safety while traveling, users with cellular models of Apple Watch Series 5 can now complete international calls to emergency services, regardless of where the device was originally purchased or if the cellular plan has been activated. International emergency calling also works with fall detection, if enabled, to automatically place an emergency call if Apple Watch senses the user has taken a hard fall and remains motionless for about a minute.
  • I am 100% aware. You have to have your phone with you for the Garmin version to work. Kinda defeats the purpose. AW does NOT require your phone.

• I use live tracking when running with my phone.  It works well.   Not only during training but during races so family members can see my location and stats. I would think most women would be interested in being tracked and/or being able to send SOS text messages.

• I would think most women would be interested in being tracked

Taking that out of context, I would say that they don't like being tracked :D