This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Watch is using oHR during activity instead of external HRM

There is something weird going on with the latest 4.0.0. During activity watch will still use HR from internal oHR (less accurate) instead of external HRM monitor. I am pretty sure that my external HRM is working properly and it is connected to watch; I have tested with two different HRMs to be sure.

With new FW I have to turn off owHR before start of each activity, and then turn it back on after completing an activity.

If I don't turn off owHR, my HR readings are all the way wrong. Especially in winter time when I place my watch on a sleeve. 

• Are you using a native activity or a CIQ one?  Did you turn off the external HRM in Sensors and Accessories by mistake?

• Native activity (running).

Indeed, I didn't turn off external HRM in Sensors and Accessories. Moreover, I have verified in Sensors that my sensor is connected; and of course once external sensor is connected I could see heart symbol on the landing page of activity before I start an activity.

• Mostlikely, Garmin has upgraded it's owHR and algorithms so it would be used in activities in well (to track what specifically??). There is an example of such activity - https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4375638061. You may notice that despite I have my external HR connected (and it produced good results), my watch was trying to take HR from oHR in the first ~8 minutes of activity (you can see much higher wrong pulse here), before I paused running to verify what's going wrong with my pulse and why it is so high. After that I have verified that external HR was marked as connected in Sensors. Finally, I turned off owHR and pulse stabilized for me. Now, I'm turning owHR before each activity, and start owHR after completing activity.

What else I have recently noticed, that despite of connected external HR, owHR will always pulsate with green light. In previous FWs Garmin would have automatically turn off owHR and green light will go dark; and that was one of the simplest indicator that HR is being taken from external HRM, not from owHR.

While owHR works good during everyday life and during nighttime, it's mostly a bulshit during any kind of activity.

• Probably not a lot of help, buy my external HR sensor works fine. I don't turn off the OHR, but would know. The OHR is rubbish for me hen running. way too high.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to dpupkov

in the linked activity you got a low battery status

also check & report all firmware versions in the about menu on the watch

accelerometer 0 ?

with FitFileRepairTool you can check which sensor was used for every logged data record

happy & safe sporting

• After 1/2 hour spent on trying to start FitFileRepairTool, I understood that i totally don't understand people writing any SW in MS Access Face palm tone1‍♂️ So, I was unable to import fit.

SW: 4.00 GPS: 2.60 WiFi: 2.60 CIQ 3.1.6 BMX 0.5.2 WHR 20.04.70 ANT/BLE/BT 5.01 Sensor Hub 3.20 

For accelerometer I am not quite sure about your question.

For HR battery. Alarm has raised about 30-40 minutes into the run. Although, despite of a low battery, my HR was able to hold battery till the end of the run. Anyhow, I'm complaining about first 8 minutes where watch was trying to get HR data from owHR instead of external HR. Once I turned off wHR, my HR values became good.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to dpupkov

you can perform a simple Garmin 'hard reset'

first sync your watch data with Garmin

press and hold the light button until your screen goes dark

turn your watch back on

sync your time when not already done automatically

After 1/2 hour spent on trying to start FitFileRepairTool, I understood that i totally don't understand people writing any SW in MS Access ️ So, I was unable to import fit.

I sympathize with you Smile

SW: 4.00 GPS: 2.60 WiFi: 2.60 CIQ 3.1.6 BMX 0.5.2 WHR 20.04.70 ANT/BLE/BT 5.01 Sensor Hub 3.20 

looks ok accept ANT/BLE/BT, could it be 5.10 instead of 5.01

For accelerometer I am not quite sure about your question.

that looks ok too, same as other FR945 watches being '0'

Anyhow, I'm complaining about first 8 minutes where watch was trying to get HR data from owHR instead of external HR. Once I turned off wHR, my HR values became good.

is the scosche paired via bluetooth and ANT+  ?

would you be willing to upload the fit file(zipped) here in the forum or provide it via a cloud storage link ?

with your consent we can have a look at the file with FitFileRepairTool

happy & safe sporting

• Try deleting and then re-pairing the external HRM.

• I have the exact same issue. I got used to turning off and on the OHR before and after the run. But of course it would be great if garmin could fix the issue. It is not the user experience I expected from this watch. 

• Wrist Heart Rate settings should have "Not during activity" <3

This would solve many problems with the HR and would be like I would want it. If I would sometimes want to use optical (battery dead, forgot the strap) then I could activate it, but usually it's more like, I don't know did my HRM-Tri connect or not.