This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

BUG in trail running mode, can't stay on the selected data screen

Hello,

This is a bug I have reported by email during the previous beta and is still present in 3.30.

During a Trail Running activity, with HRM Tri connected, and the phone connected to the watch, I cannot stay on a specific data screen. At some point during the run, the watch goes back to the first data screen and switches to white text on black background. If I go back to the data screen I'm interested in, it swithches back to that first data screen after some time.

It seems to be related, or maybe it's just me trying hard to find a reason, to the watch receiving notifications during the activity (like the Android phone complaining about having lost the selected cellular network).

It always happens to me in trail running activity, not in normal running.

Best regards,

F.

• i believe the changed background means that climb-pro has activated - this has its own set of data-screens (special climb-pro related ones :D), to which it shifts. Not sure where it returns after leaving climb-pro (if to first page or last selected page...).

You could disable climb-pro if you don't want it to happen - also note climb-pro is only ever active if you are following a pre-planned route [or "Course", in garmin speak] (because climb-pro relies on knowing the climbs in advance).

• Hi @Fredderic, it might very well be the case, thanks for the tip. But if that is correct, is it normal behaviour that even after climb-pro has kicked in, if I go to another data screen, it keeps going back to climb-pro?

• for me personally, I quickly disabled these climb-pro screens after just a few tests. What I recall is that it switches to climb-pro screen at the start of each climb, and out at the end of each climb. You can view the detected climbs of a route to find out how climb-pro decided to judge them.

My guess is that you have a route with multiple climbs (maybe even relatively short ones), and whenever a climb starts you get thrown the the climb-pro screen, then you manually go back to "your favorite screen", then at the end of climb it throws you out of "climb-pro screen mode" and possibly again your screen is put to the "default screen", when you go back again. If this guess is correct you will get thrown out of your favorite screen twice for each climb that climbpro detected on your route.

• Makes sense. Thanks for the help.

But please Garmin (Former Member ?), can you document features that you roll out with software updates? The manual for the watch is not updated and we have to guess how the watch works.

You should take example on Fujifilm, they do update and release their manuals at the same time as software updates.

If you don't do that, how are we supposed to know if something is normal behaviour or a bug?

• ´Almost got wet pants because of your question:

Documentation, GARMIN? They don't even properly document all functionality/data screens wich are in the first production firmware, for wich the manual is written.
    They are unable to convince their developers to write proper changelogs, even if they are mandatory in the App Store. (Explore gets proper ones, the dev seems to be new).

First mission is to get your money, second one to take care of their image. Third priority is keeping you from returning the device (if you need to RMA something, these departments are awesome), fourth is to fix bugs wich don't fit into 2 or 3.

Back to topic:
    I don't think its "ClimbPro", but Autoclimb (an older feature wich changes data fields and inverts the color). ClimbPro is analysis of climbs and only available on routes, Autoclimb works on the fly.

• Yes, I believe it is Autoclimb which is the most likely culprit for screens "randomly"changing.

• Just for the record, I do not share your opinion of Garmin support. I had no problems with returns and RMA. If you are that unhappy, vote with your feet.

• Maybe we hit the language barrier:

i meant that support, especially RMA, is good (awesome=fantastic). But software documentation is not existent. 

• OK, sorry I misunderstood, I though you used "awesome" ironically because you said they tried to keep you from returning the device.

• You are right, it's autoclimb not climb-pro. The feature is not new though, it has been present since release of the watch (where I disabled it).