This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Deep sleep accuracy?

I am curious to hear what other people's experience is with Deep Sleep stats.  According to my 945, I get about 10-15 mins of Deep Sleep a night.  First, I do not know if this is normal for the average person.  Second, is the 945 sleep stats accurate?

• Now why the delay of the new algorithm? They say he is more accurate.

• I have had my new Garmin watch for about a week so far I haven’t receive more than 22 minutes of deep sleep. Several nights it did not show any deep sleep. My old Fitbit showed an average of two hours of deep sleep.  I wonder if the Garmin updates will fix that. That’s the only grievance I have so far about the watch.  Is there any adjustments I can make?

• Just ignore it. It’s completely useless for two reasons.

1. According to sleepexperts a watch cannot accurate determine sleepfaces. Your garmin is inaccurate and your fitbit was inaccurate.

2. Even if the data would be accurate, what are you going to do with it? Are you going to sleep more deep? And how wil you do it? It is impossible for you to make adjustments (except drink more alcohol. That will make you have more deep sleep ;)

sleeptrackers are just marketing bs.

• This ^^^ is correct.  When I first got my watch I was paying close attention and wanting it to do as advertised.  Eventually I realized that is is nothing more than a marketing gimmick of sorts.  The way sleep and stages are "determined" are is very simplistic and based mainly on watch movement during the night.  In the end what I did to improve my sleep was to totally ignore the data generated by the watch.  For me at least it is comically inaccurate.

• Sleep tracking actually can get somewhat reliable if not only movement is concerned but also other parameters like heart rate and especially heart rate variability. All three combined and processed with AI can result in fairly useful data. I can confirm that with Oura rings which show results that match those of sleep labs at least to some extent (not being as perfect a medical sleep analysis of couse).

But Garmin's algorithm is purely useless. It even fails to detect awake periods during the night.

• But Garmin's algorithm is purely useless. It even fails to detect awake periods during the night.

Or it shows periods as awake because of movement when you are sleeping.  Or shows you as asleep when reading or watching TV.  It pretty much gets it all wrong for me.

• I can confirm that. The only hope is that Garmin will recognize the dissatisfaction of their customers and drop their useless self-developed sleep algorithm and return to the one frrom Firstbeat which they used a few years ago. It was not great but miles ahead of the current one

• I've already said that garmin needs to put the new algorithm urgently even if it's buggy, because I guarantee it's better than the current one. This night I woke up to give my daughter milk. I got a case 1h awake and none of the clock pointed. You can't have an efficient pro recovery with this algorithm. Shame on you!

• It is not a problem with reliability. 

Even if someone would make a device that can 100% accurate track your sleepfases. What are you going to do with the data?

The problem is just that: is data. is will never be information. It is complete useless. 

There are 2 things interesting for a sleeptracker to be useful: length of your sleep and wether  you are awake at night. (something gamin also cannot detect correct). These two is information you might do something with. 

• Good morning,

There are several forums on the subject of sleep, it seems that Garmin is not concerned with sorting this out, the moderators don't even respond anymore. I'm not even talking about the stages, but about the precision of sleep time. A shame, it had a polar grit x and it was very good.