This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Pulse Ox not working + Heart Rate not working when Pulse Ox is turned on

Hey!

Got my 945 yesterday and set it up. Everything seemed to be working fine initially.

During the evening I went through some settings and turned on HRV Logging, Sleep/All-Day Pulse Ox, etc.

After this I noticed all heart rate data started displaying "--" with maybe one value every few minutes at best before going back to "--". Stress measurement started showing "Check watch fit" when trying to do a measurement and I was unable to get a single Pulse Ox reading during the whole evening. I went to sleep thinking it might just need some time to adjust.

I woke up with absolutely no sleep data or HR data for the night. After not getting more than a few blips of wrist heart rate data all morning regardless of restarts, different clock position on wrist, band tightness or even wrist side, I went back into the settings and tried turning off the Pulse Ox sensor. After this the heart rate reading updates reliably every few second and everything seems to work again.

I have now tried this multiple times to make sure. Turning on Pulse Ox in the Sensors menu makes all wrist heart rate measurements disappear and turning it off makes them work like normal again. No Pulse Ox readings have been captured at any point and can't be captured manually either.

Anyone have any info on this? Some known software issue, a faulty sensor, something else?

Software version 2.60 (2fa11e6). (EDIT: upgrading to 2.64 beta or downgrading to 2.50 does not help. Neither did 2.70.)

Lights on the back of the watch seem to work quite differently when Pulse Ox is on, cycling through a blink pattern if that is of any value, but I have nothing to compare to. (EDIT: took a video of it since it looks like the sensor in an endless reset loop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYEoq9d9KQ8 Local Garmin support said it does not look like what their test unit looks like)

Cheers!

• I just bought another one, and will send this one back when I get the new one, but I'm out of pocket double now, they said it would take 14 days for any returns to be sorted as standard 

• I bought mine from Wiggle. It was a rev C and had this issue. Garmin asked I send it back. I had to wait for another (a week), but I received a brand new one which works fine (Rev D). 

• That's great news! I've ordered another ome, hoping for a rev D, even asked them nicely for a rev d on the order note lol

• Garmin "DOES" acknowledge this is a problem. I posted on here a couple weeks ago when I had the same issues with new fenix 6x. They were very nice and sent me out a replacement next day via ups. I then sent them back the original. this was about the same time they sent out the beta software update version. I never tried it and just sent the first watch back. the replacement worked perfectly and I have not had a problem. Love the watch. I believe it is a hardware issue IMO. they have my original, so I know they are working on it. but it seems everyone with the problem has the weird glitching lights like in the youtube post towards the beginning of this thread. 

• You talking about the fenix 6 or.forerunner 945, I seen the fenix 6 was having the same problem and there was a sensor hub update that fixed it 

I'm just hop9ng now that I've ordered another that ingest a revision d which h seems to be the working ones, or just keep ordering and replacing them until I do 

• The rep told me i had two options;

1-they would send me a watch first if I gave a refundable deposit. Upon receipt if the old watch they would refund the deposit.

2-send the old watch with no deposit and they send the replacement when its received.

I opted for option 2 because I have an old Fenix I can use and I don’t want to tie up several hundred dollars

• Idk if there was a sensor hub update, or if that was the same as a beta version they emailed me to try. I never even tried to fix the original 6x as the replacement i got worked perfectly, so I sent the original back and was done with it. All I know is I tried reset, hard, soft, etc. changing all kinds of sensors. updating to 2.8 etc, etc and nothing worked, but the new one did. I don't see where in this forum and any software update has definitively fixed the 6x or the 945 hence why I think it's a hardware issue......Also if it was a software issue, this would be a problem with all the watches with that software....duh which it is not as replacement with same software do not have problems.....it's hardware dudes, just send it back and hope they send a replacement quickly. 

• This is literally my same experience word for word! I’m glad you typed it and saved me time haha! My replacement has worked flawlessly and garmin didn’t even try to make excuses.  It was probably the easiest exchange I’ve ever had. 

• Good to hear people have had new units sent to them as replacements.

I returned mine to Wiggle a month ago and finally got the refund today. The reason I did not exchange it with Garmin was that since when I originally called their support they had not heard about this issue at all (and hence I created this thread). They said it seemed to be faulty but that I'd need to send it in for repairs. The estimate was that it would take 3 weeks however, which is quite different from "got a new one sent to me overnight by Garmin". So it was easier to just return it as faulty and use something else.