This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Exercise load seems to get double counted for the run in a multisport/triathlon activity.

The Training Status report double counts the Exercise Load for the run within a multisport activity. I've done two triathlons with my FR945 and for both the Training Status report includes an Exercise Load for both the run and for the overall multisport activity, both with exactly the same load number. I also noticed that it includes very high Exercise Load numbers for the short transitions. E.g. for a 1 minute transition I get an Exercise Load of 242 whereas my hour bike ride has a load of 236 - doesn't make any sense.

• Garmin have yet to manage to deliver training load for a multisport activity

• For multi sport activities it looks like the load of each activity includes the load of all previous activities.

The total load should only be the multi sport activity and not the multi sport activity plus each individual activity. I hope this gets fixed soon!

• I have the same load double counting problem with multi-sport activities on my 945.

This is a critical bug because the double counting triggers an 'Overreaching' training status, and mistakenly prompts the user to reduce their training load.

Software version: 2.70 (0b33fae)

• jome90 -- you're exactly right, it's a cumulative sum of each of the phases of a multisport activity. The more activities in the multisport, the more anamolous the training load calculation will be. It's really a terrible bug. 

• Hello,

I had the same issue, until my last swimrun. Now there is virtually no load recorded in the training load, but each individual activity has a separate load. (With some strange, very high loads for short periods of transitioning and running.) For some reason these aren’t added up and included in the training load. So there has been a change, however I’m uncertain whether it’s an improvement...

Software version 4.40 (f6dbc2c)

Best regards,

David

• Same issue two years later. Any solution by now?

• They seem to have solved the problem you're talking about.  Looking at a recent sprint triathlon, exercise load accumulated over the legs, but was not double-counted.  That is, Swim=Swim; T1=(Swim+T2); Bike=(Swim+T1+Bike); etc.  Looking at "Exercise Load" for the event, it shows as "17.4 mi activity" -- which seems about right -- and shows the same total as the separate "Run."  Looking at the bar graph, it corresponds to the stated exercise load.

Are the numbers right?  Probably not.  My watch says my exercise load for Swim=79, and for Swim+T1=120.  I'm pretty confident the load wasn't 41 just for T1.  By way of comparison, T2 was 3.

For kicks, I checked a sprint tri from 4 weeks earlier -- which had a longer T1 --  and saw a similar pattern, but not quite as extreme: Swim=78, Swim+T1=97, and T2=7.  (Also interesting to note that the totals for the whole race differed by just 1 point.)

• I'm pretty confident the load wasn't 41 just for T1. 

I'd believe it. Getting out of a wetsuit while running can be a whole sport in itself. Laughing

• Same here. Happened in two triathlons the past month. Massive Loads for each (1500+) throwing off Training Effect for subsequent weeks

• Yeah, my wife had a tri just last weekend, and it did this same thing.  Pretty amazing Garmin hasn't fixed this yet.