This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Training Status - BAD FORMULA when doing Multisport! Wrong calculations.

Hello, 

I noticed that when doing multisport (like this duathlon) Garmin connect makes completely wrong the calculation, affecting the whole report. Every activity's load, sums up separately, and at the end the sum from the multisport itself adds on. 

For example: 1 Duathlon - 400 load, made of 250 cylcling and 150 running, will count as 150+250+400+ the transition, which I don't know why for 3 min, was 184 ( given the cycling was 183). Everything this makes huge impact on the formulas I guess, making the training status absolutely wrong.

You can see what this big graph is made of here:

What's going on - Garmin?!

• From your screenshot it looks like the load of each activity includes the load of all previous activities:

Cycling load: 183

Transition load: 184 - 183 = 1

Running load: 411 - 184 = 227

The duathlon multisport activity gives a (correct) total load of 411. However, only this load should be used in the calculation and not the individual ones.

• it looks like the load of each activity includes the load of all previous activities:

Exactly, plus - they sum up once again, adding the 411 (total) to the three of them, where the last one is already  the "all" of them summed. It gives me a total of 1189 exercise load for this day, totally shifting the whole training status thing to the NOT trusted for the weeks ahead. 2 days after this one I went to Unproductive, even though my exercise load was increasing in performance and time. I haven't see the formula, so I cannot say for sure and my watch is quite new, but these are the graphs, and my observations so far. The graph speaks for itself. 

The next graph on the right is 3 days after the peak. The load is 155 and compared to the one on the left, it's a dwarf. No surprise it goes to unproductive ;) 

• Same problem with my last 2 thriatlons with 945.

• Same problem for me, running + walking activities. I'm on 2.80. 

• Same problem for me, running + walking activities...

When setting distance instead of time in the graphs :

• Always the same with 3.30  !!!

• Hello, 

Nothing on that? It has been a problem since the beginning, every single multisport activity is wrong on load, furthermore it also mixes the all TSS numbers and time on WKO4 and 5, every single leg as the total time of the whole exercise.

• Happens to me all the time. Quite annoying indeed.

• I would like to add my voice to the choir of disappointed Multisport feature users. The calculation of training load for Multisport activities is obviously broken, thus rendering the multisport feature useless.

I've attached a screencap of my experience of this bug. I created a Bike-Run-Bike multisport activity. Frankly, it was easy to do and made me very excited about the capability of the watch. However, I won't be using this feature until I am confident the bug is fixed.

My total training load for November 3rd is a ridiculous 2,892.

Multisport Exercise Load Calculation Bug

How was it calculated?

Sport 1 (Cycling): 137

Transition 1: 144 (7 gained in transition + previous 137)

Sport 2 (Running): 559 (415 gained running + previous 144)

Transition 2: 570 (11 gained in transition + previous 559 )

Sport 3 (Cycling): 732 (162 gained cycling + previous 570)

Overall Multisport activity: 732

Later, I did a separate Walking activity, which registered a training load of 18.

137+144+559+570+732+732+18 = 2,892

Looking at my training load over time, this is obviously an anomaly. As a result, my training status went to "unproductive" and I have had difficulty re-stabilizing it and trusting the results. This is not just a short term (7 day) nuisance. Garmin videos on Training Load state that it not only monitors a rolling 7 day average, but "The device also keeps track of your longer term training load as a baseline, and compares your current training load to this longer term base."

So now this anomaly is buried in my data. How will it impact the accuracy of my future training status? I worked hard on that bike-run-bike, and I'd like my data to reflect that accurately. But if I do delete that multisport activity, will that even trigger recalculation of my "longer term base"?

I am new to this forum. Does Garmin support team monitor these posts? How do I help raise attention to this bug? It is one of several problems that have made me second-guess the major investment I made in buying this device. 

The Garmin FR 945 was billed as the premiere triathlon watch, with "Training Load" touted as a major feature to track and improve fitness. The calculation of training load for Multisport activities is obviously broken, thus breaking two major promises of the device.