This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Bug in firmware 2.5 with backlight - not good for battery

I discovered a bug in the backlight settings that eats a lot of battery.

I have a timeout of backlight of 8 seconds for the backlight. It usually works fine.

In "Run Settings" I put "Power Save Time" -> "Extended". When I select the "Run" activity and appears the option page, the backlight stays on till I push "START". In power save mode extended I can wait till 30 minutes to push the start button, for example if I want to do a GPS soak or before a race. But the backlight stays on and it eats a lot of battery.

• I cannot recreate this on my own 945s. Can you try hard resetting your device by holding the power button in for around 15 seconds, then turning it back on like normal. If it's still happening, can you provide which screen exactly is keeping the backlight on and whether or not your wrist is still when testing this. 

• I don't have the watch with me right now because I use it only when I run, so  I can't do the hard reset, I will try tomorrow. But if you want to replicate the issue this was the page when that happened.

Usually if I want to start a run activity I have to push the button START (on the right and up in the watch) three times:

- first time : the watch shows all the activities (run, bike, etc). The backlight is normal here, after 8 seconds the watch turn the backlight off

- second time I select the run activity: the watch shows the first data field page and an arrow for the options, it also appears  a red circle that means that the watch is seeking for gps.  With the "extended mode", this page can stay active about 30 minutes. This is the page where I had the issue with backlight, the backlight stayed on ignoring my setup of 8 seconds.

-third time: if I push the start button the third time, a green square appears and the activity starts. In this page the backlight goes off after 8 seconds like I set in settings.

• I've tried the steps you've described and I can confirm that the problem is there. Exactly like you've said - backlight stays on on the screen before the activity timer has been started.

• My backlight stays on until I get a GPS lock and then it goes off.

• I tried again and you are right, my watch has the same behaviour. The backlight stays on till the circle is red, when it becomes green and the watch finds a GPS lock the backlight goes off. Probably it's not a firmware bug, maybe Garmin wants that we look well that we have a green circle before pressing the final and third START, because it's critical that when we start the activity we have already a good gps lock.

• Solved with firmware 2.70. I ask to remove this from the list of bugs.