This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Performance condition increasing during race

Have only used the watch a few times. Did a 10K race(net downhill). Got a 0 score after about 6 mins running. Expected it to go down as the race progressed, which happened on my normal runs. Much to my surprise it increased! Finished with +5. 

Is this normal? Or just a case of the watch still learning? 

Top Replies

All Replies

• It takes approx 4 weeks to get used to you. If you only used it a few times, it is possible. 

• That’s what I reckoned.  

• Indicates that you could have gone faster

• Doubtful. Was an all out effort, a 28 second PR and within 10 seconds of the predicted time in the training stats page.

In a 30 min recovery run 48 hours before the score went from 0 to -3  

Suggests it’s a case of the watch getting used to me  

Would be great to hear from First beat. HermanB?

• Let's start with the basics, when your Performance Condition was +6 it was essentially telling you that you were maintaining your current pace with the ease of someone with a roughly 6% higher VO2max. So, if your VO2max is 50, you were running more like someone with a VO2max of 53. 

The reason could be external factors like having a nice, stiff tailwind helping you along. It's also generally easier to run net downhill, so that could be part of it as well. It is a fairly common for the analytics engine to underestimate VO2max during the on-boarding/learning phase for those with a relatively high VO2max. That's certainly better for many reasons than overestimating it the early going. This would lead to an artificially low baseline for Performance Condition to reference, and would result in unexpectedly high Performance Condition feedback.

As a matter of course, consistently positive Performance Condition feedback is typically a sign that your VO2max score is about to increase, meaning better performance is your new norm. 

Hope that helped. 

• Very helpful. Much appreciated!

• That first paragraph was the best and most simple explanation I've heard of the performance condition measure in Garmin watches.

Thanks Herman.

• Yes. I don't think anybody ever wrote it that easy. Should be implemented in the Manuals.