This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to tell Bluetooth vs ANT+ connections?

I can't seem to determine how to tell if sensors are connecting via ANT+ or via Bluetooth?

I have several sensors (Stryd, Scosche Rhythm HRMs) that can connect via either ANT+ or Bluetooth, however I want them to connect to my 945 via ANT+ whenever possible (allowing another device to connect via Bluetooth - like my phone).  Anyone know how you can specify this?  Apologies if I totally overlooked this in the menus and the manual.

• If I remember correctly, when a sensor connects via BT you get the MAC address in the name, which doesnt happen for ANT+. I connect both for a dual sensor then just turn off the BT

• That makes sense, thanks.  I had thought it might work like that but the bluetooth headphones I connected had their specific name instead.

• This continues to be a problem/issue.

Today I did a treadmill workout where I connected to my Scosche dual-band HRM with my 945 as normal.  As I usually do on the treadmill I also open the Wahoo app on my phone so I can connect to the HRM via BT to monitor heart rate.  The wahoo app refused to connect to the Scosche HRM no matter what I tried.  When I ended the workout on the 945, the Wahoo app connected immediately.

Because only one bluetooth connection can be made at a time (ANT+ can have many), I suspect that my 945 took the BT channel when it connected, preventing Wahoo/my-phone from connecting.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to prove this theory?  Anyone know?

• And what happens when you delete all BT pairings from your watch and only use Ant?

• There isn't any way that I can tell that you can add only ANT+ sensors.  It just searches all sensors in range.

• Yes, but you can delete the BT ones after pairing. Right?

• It doesn't indicate BT vs ANT+ in the pairing from what I can tell.  And it doesn't show BOTH pairings, just the one.  So if you delete it, it deletes both.

My workaround is to connect to the phone FIRST and then to the watch, but this is a sucky process to have to do every single time.  This is a garmin watch, I just assumed their proprietary connection standard would be protocol.  Therefore I assume this is a bug.

• When you are in the sensors menu and choose to pair a new sensor, all of the sensors displayed as available should be ANT+. There should be a menu option below these that says Show Bluetooth Sensors. This would help differentiate which is which when pairing. 

• Could you point out how to get to that menu?  I am not able to navigate to anything that shows what you describe.

• For example, when I get to the Sensors menu option, here is what I see as available using the down/up buttons:

>Add New

>PulseOximeter

>Compass

>Altimeter

>Barometer

>Xero Loactions

(then my already-connected sensors - tempe, HRMs, Footpods, etc)

Last is my BT headphones.

Below that it starts back over at the top with "Add New"