This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

slow GPS lock and satellite pre-cache file?

I noticed that my new 945 takes much longer to lock on to satellites, in the city with buildings than my old 935.

Also I have a widget sun/moon calc on both 935 and 945.On the 935, when I go to it it just loads the times in about a second as if the location is already cached.
But on the 945 everytime I go to the widget, it shows 'Waiting for GPS-Signal' and takes quite some time.

I was looking up on google and came across this EPO 'satellite pre-cache' file that the garmin watches with mediaTek chipset use.
Is there something similar for the sony chipset used in this? Is the delay because of that?

Any clue? Anyone from Garmin?

thanks

• Systems, Settings, About then click through until you get to CPE:... If it's anything other than current connect and sync to your phone or to Garmin Express and check again. If it's still missing, put the watch outside, select a GPS enable activity (set Power Save Timeout to Extended) and leave it there for 20 mins or more. While it's doing that contact Garmin Support and let them know you appear to be missing a CPE file.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to philipshambrook

I would like to see the CPE info a bit more up front

a lot of scrolling finding it Wink

• thank you so much for the information. I checked and it shows CPE: current 

So looks like it’s there. I will try to do the 20 mins gps thing and see if that makes a difference. 

Garmin’s own sun calc widget seems to work ok without delay, just the 3rd party widgets take time to lock.

• If it's third party widgets then you need to contact the developers.

• @sekrab did this help?

• @philipshambrook My Garmin 230 locks in to the GPS signal in less than 5 seconds, the best case I've gotten on the 945 was 30+ seconds, or sometimes up to two minutes.

I found the CPE.bin and the watch reports it as being current .. any ideas why it's taking this long? I've had the watch for a few days and have done 5 or 6 activities with it. I also set it out in running mode for 40 minutes or so to 'soak' (??) it.

Also, it's connected to my Wi-Fi, and I've synced in at least once a day with the cable.

• GPS lock in general seems to be slower compared to the 935, especially in the presence of buildings and tree cover. 935 used to get locks reasonably quick under those conditions.

As for the widget, it was not the 3rd party as I mentioned. It's garmin's two widgets. The 'sun calc' and the 'sun & moon' widgets.

'sun calc' shows info immediately as if it remembers the last location. But the 'sun & moon' widget shows waiting for gps each time, unlike on 935. Not sure if it's the design of the widget, but would expect it to be same as on 935.

• Thanks .. the sun up/down on the watch face works fine for me, but the lock in takes way too long, like I posted below, from 30+ to 2 minutes :-/ I can put the 230 next to the 945 and the 230 is locked in w/i 5 seconds.

My CPE is current (shows as such on the watch and the date is current when looking at it on the computer).

Puzzling.

• Just installed the 2.48 beta. Happy to report that now the 'sun & moon' widget comes up with data immediately as it was in 935. Have to see if there is any improvement in gps lock times.

• Is the gps lock now faster for you?