This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Disabling LAP Button - AGAIN

I'm trying to figure out how to disable the lap button and don't see it as an option on the 945. Is it just me not being able to find it or is this another watch we will have to ask for this feature on?
  • Why do you want to disable it?

Personal preference. The auto lap feature already logs my lap intervals and when I am in an activity, such as trail running, and want to see other data on the fly, it's too easy to inadvertently hit the lap button. When this happens, it throws off the rest of my laps. I thought this would be a standard feature after there was so much noise about the issue on previous watches.
  • Personal preference. The auto lap feature already logs my lap intervals and when I am in an activity, such as trail running, and want to see other data on the fly, it's too easy to inadvertently hit the lap button. When this happens, it throws off the rest of my laps. I thought this would be a standard feature after there was so much noise about the issue on previous watches.

Ignore Philip on this - he doesn't understand that people are allowed to have different preferences.

I disable the lap-key on the 935 for the same reasons as you:
    • I have the device set to auto-lap
    • I want fast, single button access to my main menu for other info, without having to hold the button down.
    • I don't want accidental laps added if I hit the button.

EDIT: this was an engineering oversight. Disable Lap Key will be available on the 945 after the next update.
  • EDIT: this was an engineering oversight. Disable Lap Key will be available on the 945 after the next update.

Mind telling us how do you know this? Was it confirmed by Garmin?
  • I certainly hope it's included in the next build. Accidentally had 6 laps while riding today. Would love to turn it off.

Your question surprises me.

I assume that the 945 has a single button with two functions, Back and Lap, right?

In that case, if you have dived 3 steps into a menu during the session, and you accidentally press the Back key 4 times instead of 3 to get out of the menu, you inadvertently trigger a lap. To get around this, I always take a detour around the watch face after menu dive, so I don't have to use the Back/Lap button at all - which feels unnecessarily complicated, but at least prevents the error. However, this workaround doesn't work when zooming/panning maps, so in that situation I almost don't dare pressing the Back button when I am finished.

If one doesn't need manual laps (which I do), they can remove this complication by disabling the Lap button.
  • > Ignore Philip on this - he doesn't understand that people are allowed to have different preferences.

I read it that he was just innocently asked why the OP wanted to do that so we can have a discussion around the topic. Probably would have asked the same myself. Knowing why somebody wants something has got to be top of the list in Garmin determining if worth implementing. Maybe they think few do else might have included it. Personally I hardly ever press it accidentally so not something I am overly bothered about but always good to give options for the reasons cited.

• > Ignore Philip on this - he doesn't understand that people are allowed to have different preferences.

I read it that he was just innocently asked why the OP wanted to do that so we can have a discussion around the topic. Probably would have asked the same myself. Knowing why somebody wants something has got to be top of the list in Garmin determining if worth implementing. Maybe they think few do else might have included it. Personally I hardly ever press it accidentally so not something I am overly bothered about but always good to give options for the reasons cited.

Philip never asks the question innocently. His last comment on this was:

The best option by far is not to press the wrong button in the first place.

• I have a sort of related question. On the 945 we have the option to set a shortcut key for lap. During a triathlon I accidentally pressed the lap button unintentionally many times. If I could have disabled the lap key I would be so much happier and less stressed. When fixed, would this be an option in the triathlon mode? Would it disable the shortcut key also? 

• Not sure that's really feasible or desirable for triathlon etc.. During multisport activities such as triathlon, duathlon, swimrun, you need to press the Lap button to switch between activities. Probably better to set an auto lap for swimming, cycling and running that will be carried over if you set 'Auto Lap' in the settings for the triathlon to 'Allow'.

If you find yourself accidentally pressing the lap button (like Tim, it's something I cannot recall doing over many activities including pulling off wetsuits) you can choose  Lock/Unlock keys from a control or choose an option from 'Auto Lock' under the system settings.

But of course, "The best option by far is not to press the wrong button in the first place" :-)