[BUG] [13.21] When native running power is disabled, the watch records a power value of 0 for the whole activity [UPDATED]

This messes up my Strava stats (not just power itself, but training stats based on power).

I've only run twice with 13.21. The first time, native running power was enabled and the source was "smart". I don't run with an HRM-RUN or RD-POD, so I got native power from the watch, which I don't want because I use Stryd.

I haven't tried enabling running power but setting the source to "Accessory only" (since I don't run with an HRM-RUN or RD-POD), but even if that works, it doesn't seem like a great workaround, since it won't help anyone who wants to run with an HRM-RUN chest strap. It also won't help anyone who doesn't want to run with power at all.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Super disappointing tbh.

EDIT: Just to update this issue, I ran two subsequent times with running power disabled, and no native values were recorded. Maybe it has something to do with the exact circumstances around disabling running power? i.e. I can't say for sure, but it's possible I did the following steps:

1) Open Run activity

2) Disable running power

3) Start activity

It's possible that if I had closed the Run activity after step 2, then re-opened the running activity, this wouldn't have happened. Still kind of annoying, but probably much less of a serious bug than I had thought.

EDIT: To be clear, the actual bug is that a native power of zero will be recorded if you disable native running power for an activity without closing it (even if the activity wasn't started yet at the time.) However, subsequent uses of the activity will work properly.

• I haven't tried enabling running power but setting the source to "Accessory only" (since I don't run with an HRM-RUN or RD-POD),

I tried this and it didn't work.

It seems that "no power" is always recorded as 0, which obviously not what anyone wants, especially when power is disabled.

• If I got it right, with this bug it's impossible to use running power from Stryd? 

That's really super disappointing! 

I'm still on 7.11, where i'm struggling with other bugs like non-functional Wifi. Going to 13.21 will solve this, but it will turn my Stryd useless...that's frustrating!  

• You can still use power from stryd, but some sites, like Strava, will prefer native running power. As discussed in other places, Stryd (and the old Garmin Running Power app) all write power data as a "third-party field" while native running power writes power data as a "native field". The difference is that most sites will prefer the native field over the 3rd-party field, except of course the Stryd app itself, since Stryd obviously prefers their own data.

What's worse is you can't even choose to use no power at all. The only option rn is to enable native running power, unless you want 0s to be written for that metric.

• Now I got it! Thanks :-)

I'm afraid i'll be facing the same with Trainingpeaks (found already some reports indication this from 955 users). 

So, solutions are: 

1. If one is using native running power from Garmin - no change is required
    2. If one is using third-party devices providing running power (like Stryd)
      1. Ideally Garmin should allow using "native field" for the power stats coming from that specific device
      2. Alternatively "native power field" should not be used at all, and the power stats should be written into "third party field", as it used to be before Garmin implemented his own "native" running power

• I think the solution is that if native power is disabled (or unavailable due to the mode setting), no native power values should be written, period. (This is irrespective of whether a 3rd-party app such as Stryd decides to write 3rd-party power.)

On other watches which have native running power (like Fenix 7), initially there was no way to disable native running power (IIRC). This led to the same issue we are talking about (native power values overriding 3rd-party power). A lot of users asked for the ability to disable native running power, as that would supposedly solve the issue. Maybe it solved the issue on those other watches, but on this watch, this bug means that disabling native running power doesn't really help.

• Just to update this issue, I ran two subsequent times with running power disabled, and no native values were recorded. Maybe it has something to do with the exact circumstances around disabling running power? i.e. I can't say for sure, but it's possible I did the following steps:

1) Open Run activity

2) Disable running power

3) Start activity

It's possible that if I had closed the Run activity after step 2, then re-opened the running activity, this wouldn't have happened. Still kind of annoying, but probably much less of a serious bug than I had thought. Sorry for the false alarm!

EDIT: To be clear, the actual bug is that a native power of zero will be recorded if you disable native running power for an activity without closing it (even if the activity wasn't started yet at the time.) However, subsequent uses of the activity will work properly.

• I received the SW 13.21 yesterday. First thing I did, was deactivating native running power for all my running profiles. 

I did not check the .fit file yet, but the reports uploaded after the training yesterday seem ok. Trainigpeaks is still showing the power stats from Stryd. 

So far no issue for me. 

• I have 13.21 since yesterday and the latest Stryd.

On the watch I have disabled the native power.

After the run, Garmin Connect draws all IQ fields originating from the Stryd with 0 line. Possibly a bug of Garmin.

But in Runalyze I see the Power-Line to this run correctly.

In the Stryd Powercenter the run is completely missing. A FIT export from Garmin Connect and import in the Powercenter delivers: “Incompatible File: No Power Data”

I will try the next Run with “enabled native power”.

• I have 13.21 since yesterday and the latest Stryd.

On the watch I have disabled the native power.

After the run, Garmin Connect draws all IQ fields originating from the Stryd with 0 line. Possibly a bug of Garmin.

Hmm that sounds like a different problem. When I experienced this problem (by disabling native power and starting a run without closing and reopening the activity first), all of my Stryd metrics looked normal but I also got a native power of 0. On subsequent runs, native power was absent, which is what i wanted.