945 LTE (firmware 4.16) does not count the tracks during swimming pool training

For some time now it has been happening that my 945 LTE (firmware 4.16) does not count the tracks during swimming pool training and therefore no distance is displayed AND recorded. The time is running, but the distance is not measured. That's super annoying if you don't pay attention to it and then only notice it after 2000 metres...
Restarting the swimming app alone does not solve the problem. Only when you restart the entire watch does the swimming app behave normally again.

I have already read also about this problem in Facebook. Can other users of the forum confirm this problem?
@Garmin: is the problem known to software development and is a solution being worked on?

• Mine did this once on my first swim after the 4.16 update was pushed to my device.  I had previously been on the last beta and had not seen the issue.

Unfortunately I can't recall if I reset the device to fix it (I probably did) or just tried again at my next swim, but I have not seen it since.  I swim once a week or so, probably 8-10 swims now on this firmware (being approx 2 months old).

• Hi Markus,

have you got still the problem with the lap swiming? I have the same problem and changed my FR 945LTE with Garmin. same problem. Garmin told me that it is a Software 4.16 bug. hopefilly fixed by next fw update. Restart of my watch doesn't work.

Stephan

• Hi Stephan, yes I'm still facing the problem from time to time. As of that I'm restarting the watch always before starting the swim training. For me this seems to be a feasible work around. But of course this has to be fixed by Garmin asap.

Markus 

• Markus, do you use swim drills?  In a previous release, I found that if I stopped my workout on the drill log screen my next swim would not log distance.

I haven't tested with the latest firmware as I got used to switching to another screen before stopping the workout.

• Hi Mark, yes I do. But normally I never stop a Workout with drills or using the drills function. However it's an very interesting observation.  I will also observe this and report.

Kind regards

Markus 

• I had the same problem this week.

In my case just discarding the activity and starting another also didn't help.

Only powering off the watch and powering on again helped.

When it happened, I swam very powerful and emphasised arm swing freestyle intervals.

• I have been having this issue over the same time period. I thought I fixed it but had the same problem again last week. I called support and they did identify this as a known issue, saying a fix was coming. But it has been a month since then, and two weeks after they thought the software would be ready, and still no fix.

I did try a third-party app which I had used with my old AppleWatch that just got compatibility with the 945 LTE (MySwimPro), but I encountered the same problem using it, too.

It is very frustrating, as I bought the watch to help with triathlon training and not having a working lap/distance counter means I don't really have a watch to train with.

• This started Monday for me, had 4.16 since it rolled.  Powering the watch off and on actually worked for me today.  4.16 has been the most disappointing update for any product I've owned in 30 years.

So many bugs introduced in 4.16 that its unbelievable they didn't proved a 4.17 to correct bugs that break the actual functionality of the watch.

I mean, who needs workouts to not crash or just not record on a sport watch?

• Im experiencing the same issue after I power off the watch due time zone not displaying correctly…I noticed after my 300yd only time was being displayed but not the distance or pace…is there something I must do to get my forerunner 945LTE to track correctly my pool swims?