This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Cracks in HR sensor Forerunner 935

When I routinely checked my 935 this morning I discovered 5 separate cracks in/on the HR sensor on the back! I wear the watch all the time (as my Garmin account can approve) and am, just like my colleague athletes, very careful in handling and wearing my watch. As I check regularly these cracks are new to me and I'm wearing the watch since January this year. Now what to do? As a triathlete I swim twice a week, and biking and running of course.

• Update after call with Garmin Support Netherlands.

The scratches/cracks on HR glass are a known issue but will not affect the HR monitoring and the 935 is still completely waterproof. They offered to send the watch in for repair under warranty. But they again assured that the watch will be functioning completely as normal and no damage will be done by water/sweat. So my call is logged and I have decided to follow their advice and keep using my 935, because otherwise I would miss the watch for maybe a couple of weeks for no reason. If I detect problems in the future my guarantee is still warranted. 

I find this satisfying service, even if these cracks are clearly a quality issue that should not happen with these expensive watches. 

• Hello Herpers and Good morning (Well at least in Athens, Greece is morning) 
    So yes, this is true! Known issue for Garmin 935. But you have to admit that for this price of the watch .....is unacceptable!
    Now i read in the forum that Garmin 945 has the same issue.

Disappointing products i would say. By the way i cannot accept that these cracks don't affect the HR monitoring as the HR monitoring happens from the light emitting these leds behind the cracks.

If I were you I would get a replacement (like I did with mine!)

• Hello Nightvisions, thanks for your advice. I'm considering sending the watch in for repair, but that means, at least I expect, a couple of weeks without my 935... Since you have had a replacement of the glass, did you get an improved type of glass? Greetings from the Netherlands, Theo

• I had the same issue and sent my watch back, I noticed the heart rate readings were way out during activities. They sent me a refurb watch which I haven't had any issues with.

• Good Day Theo :) So just to be clear, they didnt replace the glass of course, they gave me a new watch (probably refurbished - i don't know) So far so good i would say. I noticed the cracks on my first watch after approximately 6 months. So I am waiting the 6 months to pass for the 2nd watch to check again....
    They replaced my watch in 2 days. I do expect for you there to have a Garmin Official Service there....you are far better in "Service" terms in your country than in Greece!

I've been 8 times in The Hague :) 

• Well, based on experience, I'm afraid an unpleasant surprise is waiting for you. The problem with the cracks is progressive. There will be more and more cracks appearing until they connect and then small shards of the material start to fall off the watch. I'm not yet sure whether it can eventually go all the way through but it seems it can, as it never really stops. 

So my advice is to insist on replacement until your warranty period is out. Btw. this is a well known problem, it has been around for more than 2 years and even the new models like 945 still suffer from it see here: 

https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/running-multisport/f/forerunner-945/172337/945-sensors-cracking-flaking

so if you are lucky and get money back, it might be worth considering switching to a different brand.

•  

I bought a 935 for £389 on 24th January 2019. It has developed the same cracks which are described here. I have been in on line chat with Garmin who stated that it was still waterproof and the cracks would not affect the running of the device. Even so, it has a fault, a known fault, and I requested a replacement. They told me that they did not have a black 935 available until December, but they did have a yellow one and they would supply me with a black strap free of charge. All very helpful I thought. I received the strap and then a yellow "refurbished" 935. I have just phoned Garmin to question them about this "refurbished" device. I was told that as my 935 was older than six months, that the Garmin replacement process was to supply a "refurbished" units. Having just read the Garmin Consumer Limited Warranty, I can see no reference to this six month period. The warranty states that they will repair or replace any components that fail, but they have not done that - they have not repaired the 935 I bought in January 2019 and they have not replaced it with a new device. I think I will get in touch with trading standards as this is not an acceptable service on such an expensive product. Any advice would be appreciated.

• I also got a refurbished item back. It works very well, new strap and all. The only issue for me is that it looks like battery life is less than my previous unit. Have no thad the chance to compare it over the same firmware, as my previous watch was on a different firmware - so not sure where the issue is (battery vs Garmin poor coding).

• My 935 was 9 months old when I noticed the cracks, they could have been there for ages. Who know which parts they are using in their "refurbished" devices? Its a great bit of kit, but I'm not impressed for my £389 spend!

• It's replaced with a refurbished item? Wow - that's really disappointing. I'm going to try to chat with the store I've bought it from. I don't want to risk getting an item back without cracks in the sensor but with inferior battery performance than before.