This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Road Bike Activites are stored as plain Bike activities

I was using a FR735 previously which had 3 different bike activities:
Bike, Road Bike and MTB.

Now I "upgraded" to the FR935 and there's only the Bike activity and MTB.
I tried to copy the "Bike" activity and renamed it to "Road Bike" - but the outcome is that activities in Garmin Connect will always have "Bike" and not "Road Bike".
Same if I create a "Other" activity + rename to "Road Bike".

Please note that I have the german version - and the activity is called "Radfahren" and should be "Rennradfahren" - so might be that my translation above is not 100% accurate.

Anyone who could help out here and give me a hint what I am doing wrong?

Thanks
  • Your English is soooo much better than my German. No problems there.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I *THINK* you are possibly trying to track miles on different bikes. If so, I haven't found a way to do it. I'd like to do the same thing. The only way I've found to track mileage on my road vs mountain bike is to add them as "gear" in GC and then make sure the right gear is added to each activity. You can set default gear. Do that for the bike you ride most.

If I'm way off here, I apologize.
  • Thanks - Good point.

I invested quite some time browsing through different forums and what I am actually looking for is "sub activities":
    There's a main activity "Biking" (or similar - don't know how it is actually translatedin the english interface).
    And then there are Sub-activities to / under Biking - like MTB, Road Bike, BMX, Cyclocross,...

And I want to (similar to how it worked on my FR735) start an activity for Road Biking - which should result in a synced activity with correctly set sub-activity (Road Biking).
    Currently all my attempts to do so end up in an activities with activity type "biking" only.

Without that, for example filtering in Garmin Connect would not make much sense.
    So what I am currently doing is to edit all activities in Garmin Connect and update the sub-activity.

Hope that explained a little more

Still hoping that somebody could help out here...
  • I don't think you can do it easily, unfortunately.
    Garmin Connect sets the activity type from values for activity and subactivity encoded in the header of the FIT file for an activity. Those values are set by the activity you pick when you're adding an activity to the start menu. The only way to create something with the right codes which isn't in the list of options is to create or find a ConnectIQ app which writes the codes you want. It makes no difference what you call the activity, that only affects what you see in the start menu on your watch. Weird thing to leave out when they went from 735 to 935.
  • I see you can add a MTB app but not seen any other Bike variants apart from Bike Indoor.
  • Yes exactly - MTB is there and working fine (sub category is added correctly).
    So really annoying that road bike did not make it from the fr735 to fr935 device.
  • I didn't know that the 735 could do this. My Garmin Edge has always been able to send the correct subcategories in biking. The Fenix 3, Fenix 5, and 935 always use the generic biking. Garmin should really give us this option! They already have MTB and indoor biking file in the appropriate subcategories.
  • Seems to be still the case that the FR935 behaves like this - pretty ridiculous in my mind - sorry to say this.

Users want to track different cycling activities as well as gear and the software does not allow easy handling.

On the other side, it can do all sorts of fancy dynamics - which I'm wondering anybody really uses.

Editing all activities in GC is really not a good way.

• I see this is an old thread but I just came across it. I know what Bike Indoor and MTB are. What's the difference between Bike and Road Bike?

• The difference is how the upload to GC is handled.

For FR935m Bike ends up as 'cycling' in GC - which is the top category for ALL cycling activities (Road, MTB, Indoor, Gravel,...)

If one likes to report what has been recorded by the FR935 for 'Bike' === 'cycling in GC', then ALL cycling activities are reported and no differentiation is possible.

For other Garmin devices Road end up as 'Road Cycling' which is a sub category of 'cycling'

I.e. the Edge1030 profiles are sorted by 'Road', "Gravel', 'MTB', 'Indoor",... which makes total sense.

FR935 is broken. It support the profiles 'Indoor', 'MTB' - AND 'Bike', which really should be 'Road'.

Hope this is clear.

Next it would be nice, if i.e a MTB ride is uploaded, it's attached by default to the Gear: MountianBike.

Road ride is attached to Gear: Roadbike

or what ever relationship the user has established between a subcategory and the respective gear.

Easy to do in software - no rocket science needed.

• Same problem, different year :-)

Fenix 6x pro still do not have a profile for road bike...?! Really?

MTB subcategory works fine, but nothing for road bike.

Is there any solution?