This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Don't include running activity steps from daily count

I'd like calculate steps only during inactivity period while all sport activities are counted separately and detailed.

E.g. - I run three times a week and these three days influences trends of daily steps while my steps regulary grow/decrease not influenced by these runs...

• Look at your Daily Summary on GC and under Activities you should see your "Daily Steps" which is just from the activity tracker and not timed activities.
    (Edit: although it does not seem to tell you the exact number of steps but does calories and distance).

Not quite sure what you are trying to determine though. Running is generally hugely more beneficial to fitness than random steps during the day.
  • I'm trying to avoid logical mistakes - dayli steps imho exclude any timed activity I conducted as an activity or exercises - either it running/hiking/treking or any other step included... It's not a rocket scince to make it correct...

Why - I explained - not to fool the algorithm of targeting number of daily steps (decrease or increase goal in accordance with current progress).

Thanks!
  • But surely, number of steps should include the activities? I can't see the logic behind excluding them either. The total number of steps for the day...is the total number of steps. On running days you get more than other days. Bonus! Run more on the other days to even things out.
  • I'm trying to avoid logical mistakes - dayli steps imho exclude any timed activity I conducted as an activity or exercises

What if you are recording a walk, hike, etc? Should those be excluded? I think not! :) Steps are steps....

• What he's asking for makes perfect sense - albeit I'm not sure many people would want the same thing, and with limited demand a can't see Garmin doing it.

Lets say you want to keep track of how active you are at work and how many steps you're taking during the day. Building a picture of trends etc. Any running activities you do is going to skew that data, and make it impossible for you to take anything meaningful away from your step count.

I'm not saying it's something for everyone; but that doesn't mean there isn't a logic to what the OP is asking for.
  • Steps during activity is not equal to the steps during the day. I would like to have life w/o activity steps while trends and goals for the day influenced by these activities.
  • BTW, the same thing happens to the levels (stair floors) - why it counts floors while i'm doing trail running with 1000m uphill - now I've got 300 floors up and down. What kind of logic it folows? For these floors/metters elevation I've got metrics/analysis in my activity, why everyday widget counts it?
  • 24?7 activity tracking is just that, and the daily step count is one aspect of such tracking. You don't get to repurpose either the counter or the reports/widgets designed for it.
  • Again, for a walking activity, I'd want to see floors (in fact, I have an app that shows a screen like is often used for laps when a floor up/down is detected). As AsumgDill said, it is 24/7 for data like steps and floors. And while they go to your 24/7 data, they won't show when you view the activity in Garmin Connect.