This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Ridiculous Cadence when running on treadmill

I found this issue on my FR35 before. Now, I found the same issue on my new FR745 as well.

A testing I did yesterday, ran with a metronome on the treadmill.

The testing steps were 180spm running 10min, walking 90s, 165spm running 5min, walking 90s, 170spm running 5min, walking 90s, 175spm running 5min, walking 90s, 180spm running 5min, walking 90s, 185spm running 5min, then walking for cool down.

The cadence diagram should be like the pic below

Unfortunately, the final cadence diagram showed as below

There were lots lower cadence in red during running, even lower than walking.

Those lower cadence cause the average cadence was extremely lower than normal. That's why I never got a reasonable distance when I did a running on treadmill. Doesn't matter how to calibrate my stride length in Garmin connect app.

I am not sure if it is only happened on my FR745. Hope to see a resolution.

• Issues like this usually happen when you hold your arm up to look at the watch during workout, or hold the rail. Anything that impairs the natural arm swing will affect cadence reading.

• Thanks for your reply.

It was hard for me to hold the rail and run for 3 or 5 min with 185spm. On the other hand, I was not quite often to look at my watch during workout yesterday. Because the panel of the treadmill showed all information I need.

For testing purpose, I have tried to do my best like usual outdoor running.

• Hi..i have experienced this with my 245 and 945 after a few months using them. Arm swing is natural. No glance at watch during running (for testing the cadence data). No holding phone or bottle during running. But my cad will become half from actual 180-190. Not all the time but i can say its ~50% from the duration of running. Any solution to this? I have restore to factory settings but still the same.

• The only solutions are to add Garmin RDP or any foot pod that in addition to cadence will also provide you with the exact distance

• Hmm then there is no point purchasing Premium Running watch (fr945) if i have to add another sensor etc. 

• The watch itself should provide reliable cadence. If yours doesn't, then there's something wrong with your watch. Faulty units do happen. I'd contact garmin support.

• The cadence is determined by an accelerometer contained in the watch on your wrist, if you keep it still it certainly cannot count the steps, if instead you have a foot sensor it counts them accurately, regardless of how much you spend

• yes, i understand the working principle of the accelerometer. But when I use the watch in the first 4 months, everything was fine. Cadence avg is around 175-180. Look at my data here. I didnt hold phone, water bottle, etc. during run. this is non-stop run without glancing at the watch. Arm swing was controlled and no changes made from my natural way of running. Again, why do I need pod if the 945 itself claim they are premium running watch with reliable data i.e. cadence, etc.

• The watch itself should provide reliable cadence. I can not agree anymore.

As being an engineer, I used to design many devices with an accelerometer and know the working principle of the accelerometer very well.

For testing purpose, my wife ever ran several times with my watch. She could get her reliable cadence.

I think the accelerometer contained in the watch is fine. The only thing is FR745's algorithm not good to capture different people's arm swing.

Maybe, just need to improve the filter algorithm before output cadence data.

• This is my cadence data I did a outdoor running yesterday