This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

No walking activity profile?

I just got this today, its my first garmin watch. I immediately took it for a walk and saw that there was no "walk" option, so I logged it as a run and figured I could go in and add the walk option later. But I don't see a walk option, so I listed it as "other." On garmin connect there is a walk activity, and it seems like there should be a walk activity on the watch too. Am I missing something?
  • Not really. Not sure why there is no native Walk option. Topic came up a lot on 230/235/630 forums.

There is a Hike option if you setup a new activity profile.
    Another option is to use a Connect IQ Walk/Hike app https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/116a5b59-29ae-4397-a70e-907d7e5f8e44 which allows the activity to be saved as a Walk so then not needing to change in GC later.
  • If you are doing outdoor walking, might I suggest (self serving plug!) Hike2 in the app store? You can easily switch between recording a hike or a walk...

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/116a5b59-29ae-4397-a70e-907d7e5f8e44

it's the same as "Hike" right now, but having more memory on the va-hr and 735 will allow me to add some new stuff..

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/39d3b5e8-67db-4517-93a8-5ec485269635
  • On garmin connect there is a walk activity, and it seems like there should be a walk activity on the watch too.
    There is also Motorcycling and Snowshoeing in the selectable activity types in Garmin Connect. By that logic, do you have the same expectation that such profiles would be available on a running/triathlon/multi-sport watch (or more specifically just the FR735XT)?
  • On a 735, other than the "normal" triathlon sports, you can also do Stand up Paddling (SUP), Row, XC Ski, Strength, Cardio, Hike and "Other" (which is whatever you want to call something but won't be mapped to an activity type in GC).

So no Motorcycling or Snowshoeing then but at least close on the latter :)

Personally Walk is one that would be useful to have but, as noted, it is not the end of the world that it does not.
  • There is also Motorcycling and Snowshoeing in the selectable activity types in Garmin Connect. By that logic, do you have the same expectation that such profiles would be available on a running/triathlon/multi-sport watch (or more specifically just the FR735XT)?

Are you making a conscious effort to post something trollish on every thread on this forum? Maybe you think you're being helpful with this type of comment, but believe me, you're not.
  • Maybe you think you're being helpful with this type of comment, but believe me, you're not.
    I think it is useful to challenge every questionable assertion and perceivable flaws in logic in open discussion, so that people's positions can be pared back to what is objectively and/or provably true, or at least logically defensible, instead of letting personal values run rampant and drive emotions-based conversation when we cannot assume every reader and participant is like-minded or share the same belief system.

Making each other feel supported is not the primary purpose of exchanging ideas and information in a forum, in my view. My goal is certainly not to make friends or be liked. When, say, Shellyagirl makes a post in this thread, I give it serious consideration, analyse it for the logic and framework she's using, and then respond to it with challenges and/or clarifying questions, instead of ignore her or dismiss her concerns offhand without thinking about it.
  • I think it is useful to challenge every questionable assertion and perceivable flaws in logic in open discussion, so that people's positions can be pared back to what is objectively and/or provably true, or at least logically defensible, instead of letting personal values run rampant and drive emotions-based conversation when we cannot assume every reader and participant is like-minded or share the same belief system.

Making each other feel supported is not the primary purpose of exchanging ideas and information in a forum, in my view.

But how does this relate to finding a way to record a walk on the watch? :D

BTW, I'd almost forgotten that I also have an app for "indoor walking" (Even I don't use it that much!). It's a early version of Hike, with everything "GPS" stripped out, and the only bug it has that I can think of, is the step count gets odd if you are recording over midnight.

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/eacc349c-94b9-4c3c-a92b-f3816e4fb3ad
  • But how does this relate to finding a way to record a walk on the watch? :D
    She's already recording the activity, and reclassifying it in Garmin Connect after the data has been uploaded. I think what remains there is merely a question of user convenience and/or preference in terms of achieving the end goal.

However, she did ask a question on the basis of an expectation that there is a walking activity profile, so I responded by asking a question to clarify the logic behind the expectation.
  • I think it is useful to challenge every questionable assertion and perceivable flaws in logic in open discussion, so that people's positions can be pared back to what is objectively and/or provably true, or at least logically defensible, instead of letting personal values run rampant and drive emotions-based conversation when we cannot assume every reader and participant is like-minded or share the same belief system.

Making each other feel supported is not the primary purpose of exchanging ideas and information in a forum, in my view. My goal is certainly not to make friends or be liked. When, say, Shellyagirl makes a post in this thread, I give it serious consideration, analyse it for the logic and framework she's using, and then respond to it with challenges and/or clarifying questions, instead of ignore her or dismiss her concerns offhand without thinking about it.

Why does anything need to be "challenged"? And what was questionable or a perceived flaw in the logic to the original posters merely wondering why there is no walk profile?

Nobody is asking you to make anyone else "feel supported" and being snarky and condescending isn't "exchanging ideas and information" it's just comes across as trying to make yourself seem smart and superior.

Sometimes you offer helpful replies when a poster asks a straight forward question, but if there's any opinion involved you essentially tell the poster they're wrong and do so in a demeaning way. It is possible to disagree with someone without acting and speaking like the south end of a north bound mule. That's when exchanges of ideas and information can happen.
  • Why does anything need to be "challenged"?
    Because this is open discussion, and we're not here to only listen to our own voices and views, are we? Part of interacting with others is to challenge what they say with different eyes and coming from different priorities and beliefs. Sure, it's not chummy or putting relationships with other people ahead of the topics of discussion, but I don't have personal relationships with other forum members that I want to form or foster.

And what was questionable or a perceived flaw in the logic to the original posters merely wondering why there is no walk profile?
    There wouldn't be, if she also expects a Motorcycling and a Snowshoeing profile on the basis of those also being listed in Garmin Connect alongside Walking.

Nobody is asking you to make anyone else "feel supported" and being snarky and condescending isn't "exchanging ideas and information" it's just comes across as trying to make yourself seem smart and superior.
    I try to be as impersonal and cavalier as possible, not superior or above my fellows and equals. I already believe I'm smart, and I don't need anyone else to confirm that for me, thanks; I don't look to the ‘community’ around me to validate my beliefs.

Sometimes you offer helpful replies when a poster asks a straight forward question,
    Thank you for acknowledging that.

but if there's any opinion involved you essentially tell the poster they're wrong and do so in a demeaning way.
    Not caring about whether someone feels supported or, on the flip side, feel they're losing face is hardly demeaning or belittling, even if they somehow they believe they deserve more personal consideration or goodwill from others by default.