This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Jeff Galloway 10KM Training Plan - Excessive workouts

My goal is to run 10KM in around 49 minutes. I’ve been doing the Jeff Galloway 10KM training plan & I think its broken. I talked via chat with a Garmin advisor online recently & he assured me that it is correct, but I have to disagree having seen further evidence in Jeff's videos more recently.

I would expect to run further than 10km in a plan; Jeff's "How to run faster" video states that "if half marathon runners take their training all the way up to 14 miles, rather than just 10, then they will tend to experience an average time improvement of 7 minutes". This is fine, it makes sense as you build additional stamina above the target distance.

Given that a half marathon is 13.1 miles & his own words suggest that running 14 miles will give an improvement, it is logical to assume that his plan would follow a similar principal. Except it doesn't, it goes way beyond that, way, way beyond that. In the past two weeks, weeks 9 & 10 of the program I have run 6 times. 2 runs are shorter hill repeats workouts, each 7.32km in around 40 minutes. The other 4 runs were:

1. "Long easy run" of 20.92km, total of 23.29km including warm-up and cooldown; 144 minutes of running (95 minutes longer than target time and 13.29km longer than target distance).
  2. "Speed repeats" of 16x 800m at a challenging pace; which covered 20km in 127 minutes of running (58 minutes above target time, 10km above target distance)
  3. "Goal pace repeats" including magic mile (hard mile) and 8x goal pace repeats; which covered 14.81km (41 minutes above target time, 4.81km above target distance)
  4. "Speed repeats" of 18x 800m at a challenging pace; which covered 22.96km in 140 minutes (91 minutes above target time, 12.96km above target distance)

Week 9 totalled 50.61km (310 mins) and 10 totalled 45.09km (271 mins) – 6 runs, nearly 100km! Remember, this is a 10km target.

I was due to run today, but I cannot as my inner right knee is now injured. I am not especially surprised, but today's run was scheduled as 24.14km which with warm-up/down would likely be over 26km - 16km above target distance.

My speed repeats for Saturday are projected at 20x 800m. I needed isotonic gels & water backpack for my last 18x. This is brutal.

In a distance comparison to the training mentioned in Jeff's video of a 13.1 mile half-marathon to train up to 14 miles, this training plan is comparing an increase in distance from 106.8% in the half-marathon training, to 260% in the 10KM training plan. That is an enormous difference - I cannot believe that this is correct.

In a time comparison with speed repeats; I concede there is a walking/recovery element to it, so I will remove that from the equation. 18x800m is 18x3 minute rests, so 54 minutes can be deducted from the final time which was 140 minutes, so we're talking 86 minutes challenging activity here. That's still 175% more time than the target race goal.

So distance & time wise, we are being told to do 260% and 175% more respectively than the target goal in training. It cannot be right.

• I totaly agree with you. IT'S BRUTAL!  I'm doing the same training (even if I running slower), but this week I have run 50 km. Do you know if it is possible to change the coach? 

I can't imagine how long we should run if training for the half-marathon! 

• As the repeats have increased I am modified my pace to allow for endurance. I had to use some common sense as otherwise I felt I would risk injury. I didn't expect to be running over half-marathons to train for a 10km. I would say 10 miles absolute maximum, but I suppose we have to consider that some of this is walking. 16km (20x800m) at a challenging pace ("No sprinting!" Dizzy face) is a very tough workout. I hope this exhaustion is worth it in the end. I'll find out in a couple of weeks Grimacing

• I can't really answer your question about it being correct. It does seem excessive. I use and highly recommend TrainAsOne for training plans. It is AI enabled and adaptive, with a focus on preventing injury.

• I'm currently busy with the half marathon plan & with 3 weeks to go to race day, my long run this weekend was 17miles (27,35km). I did a bit of research and most training plans do not recommend running more than 32km or 3hrs 15minutes for FULL marathon training. This 27.35km at the long run pace recommended by the calculator on Jeff's website took me more than 3hrs 40mins. I also have 18 x 800ms coming up this week, but my Goal Pace Repeats are stuck at 6 reps. I think that is an error.

• Yes you most definitely can change the coach mid program.

• Please don't even try to follow this plan. Your 10k goal pace is 4:54 min/km. It wants you to do 20x800m at 4:29-4:41min/km which is probably your two-mile-pace. Ask any advanced runner if he would run 20x800m at his two mile pace, it would be a hardcore workout for anyone, for many even undoable. At your level of running this is way too much, you could do maybe six to eight of these repeats, and that would be hard enough for sure.
    Same goes for the long run, at your level I wouldn't count distance but time, you'd be fine with 90 minutes as a long run for a 10k, 2 hours at maximum, so 10 miles might be a good distance, but not 17 or even more. Such a plan can only be demotivating for beginners, and a quick way to get injured.
    Never tried these plans from Garmin, now I probably never will.

• I agree. I was following the 10K plan with a target of one hour. As you can see from this I am a beginner that can run 5k and would now like to achieve a distance of 10K within a reasonable time. What is key here is that in no way am I ready to already take on anything near a 10k distance. Yet jefs program in week two made me run 9k and yesterday a long run of 11.6k. Uhm how does that make any sense if the target is to be achieved in 13 weeks from now?

• In the plans’ defence, if you set yourself up for a challenging 10k pace, the plan will work you hard. If you only aim to complete the distance (as with the marathon plans (you will get an easier ride). If the training pace to deliver the required speed improvement is too much, lower your speed aspirations and I suspect the plan will ease up on you. 

• There were two options - distance and time.  My understanding is that if you select time, it assumes you can run a 10k distance already. For example, I run much more than 10k most weeks on my long runs, but I still want to improve my 10k race time.  If you are just trying to get the distance, you might want to try that goal instead.  Hope this helps!

• I'm following this plan to run 10km under 50min. I'm at the end (week 12) ad it was very hard, but beautiful. I've never thought to be able to run 25km (long easy at 6:15/km) or to do 20*800m at 4:40/km (the hardest of all trainings, 24km in total, 2h30min), but finally I did!.

My Vo2max in 12 weeks improved from 47 to 50, my anaerobic threshold is now at 5:00/km with 173bpm, I've lost 7kg of fat (I'm 45 years old and 67kg for 181cm) and I'm ready to beat the time, maybe trying to do 48min

Just 1 thing to improve: the plan doesn't give you the pace of "long easy run" for your level of fitness, I had to find it from some sites on the net. It would be a great help to have the right pace to mantain directly from th smartwatch (I have Fenix 6 Pro solar)