This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Jeff Galloway 10KM Training Plan - Excessive workouts

My goal is to run 10KM in around 49 minutes. I’ve been doing the Jeff Galloway 10KM training plan & I think its broken. I talked via chat with a Garmin advisor online recently & he assured me that it is correct, but I have to disagree having seen further evidence in Jeff's videos more recently.

I would expect to run further than 10km in a plan; Jeff's "How to run faster" video states that "if half marathon runners take their training all the way up to 14 miles, rather than just 10, then they will tend to experience an average time improvement of 7 minutes". This is fine, it makes sense as you build additional stamina above the target distance.

Given that a half marathon is 13.1 miles & his own words suggest that running 14 miles will give an improvement, it is logical to assume that his plan would follow a similar principal. Except it doesn't, it goes way beyond that, way, way beyond that. In the past two weeks, weeks 9 & 10 of the program I have run 6 times. 2 runs are shorter hill repeats workouts, each 7.32km in around 40 minutes. The other 4 runs were:

1. "Long easy run" of 20.92km, total of 23.29km including warm-up and cooldown; 144 minutes of running (95 minutes longer than target time and 13.29km longer than target distance).
  2. "Speed repeats" of 16x 800m at a challenging pace; which covered 20km in 127 minutes of running (58 minutes above target time, 10km above target distance)
  3. "Goal pace repeats" including magic mile (hard mile) and 8x goal pace repeats; which covered 14.81km (41 minutes above target time, 4.81km above target distance)
  4. "Speed repeats" of 18x 800m at a challenging pace; which covered 22.96km in 140 minutes (91 minutes above target time, 12.96km above target distance)

Week 9 totalled 50.61km (310 mins) and 10 totalled 45.09km (271 mins) – 6 runs, nearly 100km! Remember, this is a 10km target.

I was due to run today, but I cannot as my inner right knee is now injured. I am not especially surprised, but today's run was scheduled as 24.14km which with warm-up/down would likely be over 26km - 16km above target distance.

My speed repeats for Saturday are projected at 20x 800m. I needed isotonic gels & water backpack for my last 18x. This is brutal.

In a distance comparison to the training mentioned in Jeff's video of a 13.1 mile half-marathon to train up to 14 miles, this training plan is comparing an increase in distance from 106.8% in the half-marathon training, to 260% in the 10KM training plan. That is an enormous difference - I cannot believe that this is correct.

In a time comparison with speed repeats; I concede there is a walking/recovery element to it, so I will remove that from the equation. 18x800m is 18x3 minute rests, so 54 minutes can be deducted from the final time which was 140 minutes, so we're talking 86 minutes challenging activity here. That's still 175% more time than the target race goal.

So distance & time wise, we are being told to do 260% and 175% more respectively than the target goal in training. It cannot be right.

• Great work, your stats are pretty similar to mine in terms of time per km (my weight is closer to 80kg, depending on the diet at the time Slight smile). I was originally aiming for 10km under 50 minutes (unfortunately I had an enforced break - my body broke during the final tapering week Disappointed).

In the end, I worked on my fitness after the enforced break, but not with this plan. I still managed a 48:42 which exceeded my target. I basically started at a comfortable pace for the first 5km (around 5:00/km pace) and then ramped it up for the last 5km. It worked well for me - good luck - hope you get the result you want Thumbsup

• I also got to that "How to run faster" video to day, and got confirmed my suspicion: the distance of "Long Easy Run" is way too long and not easy at all.

My original post is here: How Garmin-developers got Galloway's 10k training plan wrong

Or check Jeff Galloway's own website: 5K/10K Training Schedules

Garmin should revisit this one at once.

• I also got to that "How to run faster" video to day, and got confirmed my suspicion: the distance of "Long Easy Run" is way too long and not easy at all. My longest "long easy run" should not be more that a bit longer than 10km.

My original post is here: How Garmin-developers got Galloway's 10k training plan wrong

Or check Jeff Galloway's own website: 5K/10K Training Schedules

Garmin should revisit this one at once.

• I am doing the half marathon version and spot something similar. I set a challenging goal at the start of a 4 month plan. This has meant that 6 weeks in, the goal pace repeats are still a bit off the target pace (4'15" to 4'28" per km). My last "Magic Mile" was 4'26", explaining why the 6x800m repeats are a bit slower. And then the plan throws in "speed repeats" of 8x800m at an insane pace of 3'57" to 4'09" (having asked for an impossible 6x800m at the same pace two weeks earlier).  I am not sure I can manage a single 800m repeat at this pace yet, but I know for sure that if I can't manage 6 at a significantly slower pace, I am not going to manage 8 at this pace.

There are two possibilities here. Either utterly impossible sessions are being deliberately scheduled or the algorithm accidentally generates utterly impossible sessions. Either way, why can't they do better? Is there supposed to be some physiological benefit to falling miles short (or should I say tens of seconds short)?

• Hi, can anyone tell me how far the training schedule will go? (10k in 50 minutes coach Jeff) I am at week 10 of 17 and have to run 24km and 18x800. Will it simply progress untill I do marathons 2 times a week? I still have 6 weeks to go.. Luckily no injuries so far, but I feel a bit overtrained. 

• It stopped at 20x800m for me which I had to do twice. The long run was up to 24km.

• Yes, same of mrswadge, last 10 days you have very light workouts

• Apparently something goes wrong in software with mile to kilometer conversion. If you devide all distances in your plan by 1.609, then it makes sense  e.g. 24.14 km / 1.609 = 15.0 km. Interval 800 m should be 500m, etc.

• Slightly ironically, @ , don't you mean that your last Magic Mile was "_at_ 4:26/km _pace_"?

• It would be nice to have some explanation from Garmin.