This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Cracks on Forerunner 645 Music body

Hello garmin users,

I just wanted to highlight some issues I recently discovered on my black645M. I have it since March and had no issues till last week.

When I removed it after a run, the band detached itself and that's when I discovered that the body was cracked where the band pin inserts into the body of the watch
What's worse (if that's possible) is that after inspecting the entire body, I've found that the 3 other holes for the pin were also starting to crack.

I am very cautious with my watch that has never been shocked in any manner. I do switch bands sometimes (official garmin bands) and I'm always careful when doing so.
I don't understand how this piece can be so fragile after only 9 months of not so heavy use, I'm wearing it daily at work and I've been running with it only around 40 times (no swimming).

I've just returned it to the shop as it is still under warranty and I hope that Garmin won't make any trouble to replace it but I'm now afraid that such an expensive piece of gear may not last that long finally... My previous Vivoactive HR died after 9 months also but this time it was after a one sessions at a swimming pool so the water proofing was probably faulty that time.
I can't afford a Fenix Chronos that is full metal nor want to carry such a heavy watch, the F645M is the perfect size for me and has the functions I want in a watch...

I'm adding some pictures of the cracks so you can see what it looks like.

I've seen similar posts for other models but nothing so far for this watch. Has anyone faced that already? ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1431516.png ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1431517.jpg
  • Can you upload photo with bigger resolution?
  • Can you upload photo with bigger resolution?

Just updated original post with better picture, what a pain to achieve this O_o
  • Any users with a symptom like this should reach out to their local product support team directly. We are unable to resolve any hardware issues like this remotely and will gladly work with users to get a working device out to them as quickly as possible.

we have no reason to believe that you will see this issue again with your replacement device but do want to apologize for the inconvenience. This should not have had once and please know that we are sorry that you had to have any downtime without your Forerunner.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 5 years ago
    It could be worse, my watch just fell off while running. I initiated a replacement with Garmin.ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1431580.jpg
  • holly molly, try less tension in your watchband, Do your fingers have enough blood? :D sorry, just kidding :)
  • Any users with a symptom like this should reach out to their local product support team directly. We are unable to resolve any hardware issues like this remotely and will gladly work with users to get a working device out to them as quickly as possible.

SaidB we have no reason to believe that you will see this issue again with your replacement device but do want to apologize for the inconvenience. This should not have had once and please know that we are sorry that you had to have any downtime without your Forerunner.

Thanks,

I agree with you and I'm sure I'll get to use my replacement watch (when it will be replaced) for plenty of years.

I'm not expecting any resolution from this forum. I'm only posting this here to attract others that may have this same issue,I'haven't found anyone with this problem before hence my post.
    Forums are full of both fanboys and haters and I think anyone who would be likely to spend that much on gear should know about any goodness of this product as well as issues.

I'll keep this post updated as I'll get news about my watch so people can see how good or quick Garmin services are ;-)
  • Former Member
    holly molly, try less tension in your watchband, Do your fingers have enough blood? :D sorry, just kidding :)

According to Garmin I've damaged the watch myself. Since there is no other damage to the watch it must have been caused by wearing it to tight so my fingers obviously didn't get enough blood... ;)
    Anyway, I'm NOT getting a replacement... Not the service I was expecting from Garmin.
    Very disappointed! :mad:
  • lol... I didn't expect that... try to contact official support(.com) with link to this thread... i hope they will help you :(
  • Today I've noticed a little crack on mine, too. It is only on one of the band pin inserts, but I'm afraid it's a matter of time that it will fell apart completely. I've been using my watch since May, but take care of it, never wearing it too tight and it looks like new. Did not expect such thing to happen in a 450 EUR watch after 7 months of using!

How could Garmin not accept the complaint?

"Any users with a symptom like this should reach out to their local product support team directly." - Should I already get in contact with my dealer?ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1433437.jpg
  • Former Member
    I've been on the phone with Garmin for the last two days and the result is the same. They are not willing to replace my watch free of charge.

I was given 3 options by Garmin:
    1) Pay 121 EUR to exchange with refurbished 645
    2) Get my watch back. They will not charge me for shipping (how nice...)
    3) Recycle my watch for free (very thoughtful and environmental friendly...)
    Sorry if I sound a little sarcastic but seriously? Does Garmin really think that I will let them recycle my 7 months old watch and get nothing in return?

As said before, I am really dissapointed. Obviously I will pay the 121 EUR since I have no other option other to buy a brand new one. I will think twice though before I buy another Garmin product.

I would definitely get in touch with your local dealer to exchange your watch as soon as possible. Once it breaks it's too late.