Heart Rate Monitor Battery Low

I've had my 55 for about 18 months now and just today, a message popped up in the middle of my workout that said the Heart Rate Monitor Battery is Low. Whenever it would say that I checked to see if it was measuring my HR and it wasn't but there are not gaps in my data and it seems to be working fine now. I have never seen this before. I run with it almost every day and just want to make sure that I am using it correctly and whether or not to replace the battery. 

• Which external HRM do you use? Is it connected via Bluetooth or ANT? If you go to Garmin Connect app, click on your watch icon in the top, then you should see a section called Sensors at the bottom. In there you might be able to see how the battery of the external hr monitor was the last time you used it in an activity (but it depends which HRM you have, not all of them report the battery, though if the watch popped up a message, then yours probably does)

How long have you been using the HRM?

• Idk if this helps but

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/GUID-8918512F-8099-433F-86CC-3E8249295E07/EN-US/GUID-FEADC7AC-856E-410C-ACB5-AFE4CC5230A6.html

Do you have some reason to doubt the low battery life messages?

Whenever it would say that I checked to see if it was measuring my HR and it wasn't but there are not gaps in my data and it seems to be working fine now

1) How do you know it wasn't measuring your HR?

2) If you're sure it wasn't measuring your HR wouldn't that be a cause for concern?

3) How do you know there were no gaps in your (external HRM) data? Any possible gaps could've been filled in by the optical HR (unless you have that disabled.) Even if there were no gaps, that doesn't mean your HRM battery isn't low. I would expect to get a low battery alert before things start to fail, not afterwards.

As a side note, if you really want to see whether the HR for an activity came from optical HR, external HR or a combination of both:

- Open the activity in the Connect website

- Click on the gear icon (upper-right)

- Select Export File (a ZIP file will download)

- Open https://www.fitfileviewer.com/

- Click Open FIT and select the downloaded ZIP file

- Click on the Chart button

- Select the following two fields for y1 and y2: heart rate and wrist heart rate

"wrist heart rate" is obviously your wrist HR data (but only when the watch used it, iirc). "heart rate" is either wrist heart rate or external heart rate (whichever the device decided to use). You can tell by looking for the difference between those 2 graphs if your wrist hr ever kicked in (which would only happen if the external hr had gaps.

• Sorry if I confused everyone, I don't use an external HRM. I just use the one that is programmed into the watch.

• I just use the HRM that is provided with the watch. That's why I am a little confused. Is it taking out my entire watch battery?

• Oh I see, that's super weird. That error message should only pop up for external HRMs (like an HR strap), unless there's a bug.

Are you sure you're not somehow connected to someone else's HRM, as crazy as it sounds?

Try this:

- Hold UP from the watch face

- Scroll down to Sensors and Accessories

- Scroll through the list and see if any HR sensors are paired. If so, turn them off (in the sensor menu, select the item that says "Searching" - it should change to "Off"

- Optionally, turn off "Auto Discover" so there's no chance of accidentally pairing to someone else's sensor

You may also be able to see recently used sensors on the Garmin Connect website:

[https://support.garmin.com/en-CA/?faq=fspeNXOhc62zqMSOitdxH8]

• 1. During my workout one of my activity screens show my heart rate. When I clicked on it showed no HR data. However, after the workout, when I looked at the graph on the Connect app, there weren't any gaps in the data. 

Really, I don't care too much about HR. I just want to make sure it isn't taking out my watch battery or anything like that.

• I just want to make sure it isn't taking out my watch battery or anything like that.

It shouldn't be, no. Regardless, there isn't a separate battery for the wrist HR and the "heart rate monitor battery low" message makes no sense for the wrist HR.

1. During my workout one of my activity screens show my heart rate. When I clicked on it showed no HR data. However, after the workout, when I looked at the graph on the Connect app, there weren't any gaps in the data. 

That's weird. Is it an entire screen with just the HR (e.g. the HR Zone Gauge page)?

What does it look like when it shows "no HR data". Does it show a number with the text "No Zone"? "No Zone" just means your HR is below the minimum limit for zone 1. (I like to think of it as zone 0)

Or does it show "--" instead of a number, with the text "No HR"? That would actually be no HR data, but I would expect to see gaps in the graph in this case.

• So you get a low battery (of the watch) alert? What is the exact text of the alert? Just make sure your watch is charged. I don't understand how from this you jumped to write about HRM. Have you ever had an external sensor paired to the watch?

• just today, a message popped up in the middle of my workout that said the Heart Rate Monitor Battery is Low.

Based on this, and the topic title “Heart Rate Monitor Battery Low”, I’d guess the text of the notification was “Heart Rate Monitor Battery Low” or something similar to that.

• Based on the same text we both assumed that they're using an external sensor...