This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

No activity history on the watch

I have a new Forerunner 55 - I've been using it for 10 days.

Today I thought I'd check how long my recovery period is supposed to be after my run this morning.

That's when I noticed there are no activities saved on the watch!

Do activities get deleted automatically after syncing?  They are there on Connect (but can't see any suggested recovery period, which is why I thought I'd check on the watch).

I can't find any option on Express or Connect to not automatically delete after sync, if there is such a feature/

• I just had the same issue with my Forerunner 965. I tried syncing my watch with Garmin Express. I got my activities wiped from my watch twice! What I noticed is that before this bug occurred there was an update and then after two days there was an update again for Garmin Express. I think this was just a critical bug, which is I guess fixed now.

• Thank you for taking part in the Forum thread. This was a bug caused by the previous Garmin Express version. you'll want to update the Garmin Express program on your computer. Updating the Garmin Express Application Software.

Let me know if you continue to experience this after the update. 

• Did this bug cause Garmin Express to delete anything else that was not supposed to be deleted from my watch? Is it possible to get back the deleted activities to my watch?

• I guess you could factory reset your watch and set it up again, this way it should sync all pas workouts from the server

• I had the same idea, but it takes a lot of time to get my watch settings back. But I guess I will have to try that if I want my history back. Really frustrating.

• I reset my watches regularly, the 55 included. It takes just a couple of minutes

• I know it takes couple of minutes to reset, but I have my watch settings set very specifically for me. And to set them back, well that takes very much time. I have many type of activities set with custom settings and custom screens and to set them back, that takes a lot. No, I can do it, but only if there is no way to get the activities back without reseting.

• Did this bug cause Garmin Express to delete anything else that was not supposed to be deleted from my watch?

No. Just activities that are stored on your watch in the \GARMIN\ACTIVITY folder

Is it possible to get back the deleted activities to my watch?

Yes, but it is a manual process. Not necessarily needed and can even cause issues if you have excessive activities stored on your watch. If you feel the need, I would just download the last weeks' worth of activities.

• Go to Garmin Connect Web
    • Open an activity that you want to move to your watch.
    • Select the gear icon, then "export original."
    • Unzip the file
    • With your watch connected to your computer browse to <YourDevice>\Internal Storage\GARMIN\NewFiles and paste each fit file

Rather laborious and not worth the effort, IMO. I would just wait for the files to build back up on the watch.

• Thanks for the reply! I decided that it is not necessary for me to get my activities back on my watch, because those activities do not effect me in any way.