This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Heart rate accuracy

I just got my Garmin FR 55 and tried it out on a 3 mile run today. I didn't think I was running that hard, just my usual pace but the watch said my average HR was 154bpm. The distance was 2.95 mies and the time was 26:55. I don't see how my avg HR could be that high. 

I am 64 yrs old and in good shape but that high of a heart rate alarms me. I had a recent physical and it turned out ok. Thanks for any input. 

• Hi, I have a pacemaker, it works almost 90% of the time, after buying 55 I was surprised at first, the pulse rate went both above and below the set one. The accuracy of the optical sensor is not great, especially at low frequencies. Dressing up, tying shoelaces - causes a sharp rise in readings, and even washing dishes is just beyond the readings, although monitoring the pulse with a finger on the neck shows a stable pacemaker frequency. During training, distrust often occurs, with a smooth pace of movement, the frequency can go up sharply , I don't feel it on my own. Buying a chest sensor solved all the problems, its readings can be trusted. As for the optics, you need to adapt to the tightening of the belt, and this does not always guarantee accuracy - simply due to the error of the measurement method itself.

• Thanks so much for the input. I may get one of those monitors that you wear on the chest just to see what my actual HR turns out to be. I like the Garmin 55 but I may return it because the main reason I got it was to see what my HR is while running. 

My target HR for my age ,65 is 78-136. 

• As for chest sensors, the 55 supports HRM-Pro as heart rate and speed and distance sensor, HRM-DUO as heart rate. I have an HRM-DUO. I like to run with it, heart rate accuracy is good, and the watch gives real-time control of both heart rate and pace and many more parameters. Garmin Connect is a handy thing for storing the history of activities.

• Thanks for the information. 

• I've used a Polar H10 chest strap with the FR55 in the past and found the accuracy of the FR55's onboard sensor to be so close to the H10's for runs, that i no longer bother putting on the chest strap for runs. I still use the chest strap for gym work. Should say part of the reason for ditching the H10 on the runs was that after a few months of running then, on some runs, i started to occasionally get a dip in HR readings 20-30 mins into the run. Tried changing strap battery, re-pairing watch and strap, using ANT+ instead of bluetooth but couldn't solve the issue. I had the H10 for 3-4 years prior to buying the FR55 so it could just be down to the strap aging but i figured i let you know of my experience in case your strap buying research starts pointing you towards the H10.

• Thanks for the update.  I am returning my FR55.