This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Moving time recorded on strava

I want to just record active time on treadmill, cycle etc but when moved to strava it records moving time. I pause between exercise. If i rest for 10 mins it shows as moving time on strava. Exact time on garmin connect. Is there a way to just record actual exercise, Looks like i am active a lot more than i actually am.

• I don’t think you can, strava always records the elapsed time for activities. If you’re on a run it will also show the “moving time” too so you can see how long you actually ran for if you stopped for breaks/ crossing roads etc. But for cardio and strength activity on strava it just displays the total time between start and end of activity. 

• Thanks, I did think that. What would happen if I recorded my cardio as a run in the Gym and paused between apparatus. Would that work? Then in Strava I could just change the title of activity. Think not being able to do that in cardio setting is a bit of a flaw. As I say if I rested for 3o mins it would show that I am still exercising.

• The silly thing is, it shows correct time in garmin connect but goes wrong when data is transferred to Strava.

• Just tried. Recorded workout as Treadmill. run for 2 mins and paused 3 times so elapsed time was abot 3 mins. Logged on garmin connect as 2 mins and also transferred to Strava as 2 mins active and 3 mins lapsed time. Then changed title on Strava to Gym workout. Only sitting on my sofa trying this but seems to work so will try at gym next time. Strange that I should have to do this but think I have found a way.

• I think the problem is that strava is primarily geared towards cycling, running and swimming.  The other profiles for different activities such as cardio etc are pretty basic. 

You could try tracking it as a run and editing the activity in strava etc but its a little bit of a faff and I know it would get on my nerves having to edit the titles all the time and knowing that it's tracked it on your monthly strava stats as a run etc.  But thats probably just me lol. 

Anyway...Whats the problem with having the total time showing on strava? Everyone needs rest breaks, especially if you're trying something new / returning to exercise/ starting out fitness wise. Personally I'd leave it tracking as it is, over time you will be able to see the amount of time you spend resting decreasing (hopefully Fingers crossed, and on garmin connect) and eventually you will be able to look back at the heart rate data etc and see your progress. If you don't want anyone else seeing it you could set your profile up so only you can see your activities? 

Strava has had a lot of updates in the last year so who knows, this could be something they update in future.  Perhaps you should email them as I do think its down to the way strava uses the data from garmin. 

I hope that helps and that you get it sorted!

• Good, glad that works for you Thumbsup

When you change the settings to gym work out, did it only display the 2mins that you wanted?

• Yes, but the total time as elapsed.

• Think I have sorted it, See my answer above. similar to what you suggested i think although i have only just read yours. I'm not too fussed about others seeing, just felt that if I rested for 30 mins and started again and it logged it as activity time it almost felt like cheating myself. Yes, I think it is more of a strava thing than garmin connect thing. Thanks

• Cool. The other option is just to track it as 2 separate activities?sometime my old watch would auto save an activity and cut it short for me anyway Joy

• Yes that is an option but sometimes I might do say 5 activities of 10 mins on different machines and didn't want all those recorded separately. Think I may be a bit OCD