This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Forerunner 55 showed excessive battery drain. I fully charged the device in the evening, wore it overnight, and the battery was down by 30-40% the following day. This was with no tracked activities or bluetooth

Forerunner 55 showed excessive battery drain. I fully charged the device in the evening, wore it overnight, and the battery was down by 60% the following day. This was with no tracked activities or bluetooth

I have updated the software to 3.03 and done a factory reset.

Any ideas as I am no on my second Forerunner 55 as my first one had the same issue and was returned to the shop for an exchange

• I have the same issue. My watch battery was fine before the 3.03 update. Now it drains awfully fast and barely last a full day, even without GPS mode

• After every SW update perform a soft reset. I think that with the 55 it should be the same as with all other Garmin watch. Push the upper left button for about 15 minutes until watch switches off. Push the same for switching it on. It should clear all hangings or corruption after SW update.

• I posted about this on the other battery thread. I have had the exact same story, I am also on my second Forerunner 55 too. I keep bluetooth off, I am only using treadmill for my runs (so no GPS), I am also updated to 3.03 and I still only get between 18 and 50 hours of battery life. I also see a 40 to 60% battery drop after sleeping. This has been with both devices. I did soft and factory resets on the first one, updated the software on both and have done a soft reset on my second Forerunner and nothing has helped in either case. The bluetooth is off permanently and it has made no difference for either one. I am now just stuck charging it every day or two, occasionally twice a day. Anyone with any other ideas?

• My battery is working fine again: Lauching an activity ("run" in my case), stopping it, and deleting it seemed to solve my issue.

My guess is that the GPS was running in background and draining the battery life.

Hope it would help other people

• Tried this and the battery drain has not stopped at all.

• I would advise to return them and get the 3rd one.

• Was already in touch with the retailer two days after getting the second one and having the same problems. The retailer now want to test it out and try different settings/ fixes as they now believe that it is a "user issue". So am waiting to be fully vaccinated before going back to the retailer a few days running for them to try out everything I have already done and then maybe I will get a third one...or not. I was hoping it was either a software or settings issue and the community would have a fix for me, but no luck so far.

• It is definitely a SW issue. There is no point of having a 3rd, or 100th same hardware. Most people reported it here after SW update. I guess that some feature remained hanging/switched on/etc. It is the responsibility of Garmin software design to find the issue and correct. Or you can downgrade if you find the original SW version somewhere (or install the 3.02 beta)

Either wait for the fix, OR ask for refund.

Basic rule: never ever buy a newly developed(ing) product from Garmin, it is full of bugs. About half/one year after the release they are stable enough for a proper operation.

• It seems very obvious to me that it is a software/settings problem - I had this issue on both devices before the 3.03 update. I bought the device in good faith and had no idea that newly developed products of Garmin's were so bug ridden. I am honestly very disappointed as I chose this Garmin device based on the good reviews online and would probably have researched my choice longer but my prior device (competitor brand) had just died. I am currently using this with most settings turned off just to manage a day between charges. I want to have a serious discussion with the retailer about this issue and that it is clearly not just me, because they did not seem open to the issue not being on my side.

• The bug was present before 3.02 beta. Also, not everyone is reporting this bug a lot of people deny having any issues so it could theoretically be SW + HW combo bug. I have personally experienced it but not to such extreme degree as 9876434 , maybe once a week not everyday, that's why I am suggesting changing to different unit.