This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Forerunner 45s problems with crashing and lost data

My watch keeps crashing when I check activity on it I have lost run data and steps on more than 3 occasions in the last few weeks. It is upsetting when you are on a step or distance challenge. Any suggestions please as other than this I was very happy with it 

• , can you try manually uploading your problematic activities to Garmin Connect? Hopefully they exist in some form on your watch.

• Connect your Garmin device to your computer with supplied USB cable
    • Open the drive associated with your device.
    • Look for your FIT file(s) under the \GARMIN\ACTIVITY folder   
    • Drag and drop the file on to the Garmin Connect Import Data page.

If you get any message other than Import Complete, then there is a problem with the file. In that case, please zip the file and attach it to this thread. We can look at it to see what might be wrong.

As for preventing or minimizing these issues...

• I am also having this problem. The watch straight up stops recording and the watch face screen goes blank. Often I don't notice for some hours. I don't care about the data that much, so won't be trying the above. But I want a watch that doesn't crash every few days. 

• I followed the instructions above and there are no corrupt files etc. I am being extremely careful about pushing any buttons on my watch other than light and to start any activity because it seems to happen if I accidentally catch my watch on something or try to use any other function. It blanks, resets and all data lost from last sync.  Like you I’d just like a watch that doesn’t do this Frowning2

• I am having the same kind of issue - I have reset the watch with chat support. Entered a new interval program.  When I use my interval option for a run the watch just randomly stops.  It can take 3 attempts to restart the watch and then it repeatedly stops.  Incredibly frustrating - not capturing most of my runs.  It does not stop otherwise. I will try your suggestion above but not feeling very optimistic.  Of course the watch was 3 weeks out of warranty when this started.

• also, I went to the activity folder and the data there has disappeared.  

• I realize this is an older thread, but I've recently had similar issues. a few days ago the watch completely stopped recording data around 930 am. I didn't notice until 530 that night. I'm in a step challenge & needless to say I lost. Today I got the "triangle of death" after completing an activity....it didn't record the activity or the steps. I tried to manually upload the .fit file, but it "isn't supported" and it couldn't be fixed by the fit fix app. I manually input the info (I recorded it on another app). But it is still irritating. This is my 4th garmin product, and my second 45s (the strap broke on my first one, and garmin graciously replaced it). I've always been happy with Garmin, but I am not very happy with this particular watch.  Wondering if I got a "dud" or if there is a better multisport product out there? 

• I tried to manually upload the .fit file, but it "isn't supported" and it couldn't be fixed by the fit fix app.

Not sure which fit fix app you used, but if you zip and attach the fit file here, we'd be happy to take a look and try to fix it for you.

• Zip the file, then in a reply post Insert >> Image/video/file >> click Upload >> browse for file >> OK.
    • Or upload the fit file to a file sharing service, such as OneDriveGoogle DriveDropbox, etc., make the file public, then paste a link to the file in your post.
    Wondering if I got a "dud"

Possibly, but you'd need to contact Garmin Support and workout a possible warranty exchange.

• I just saw this thread and am seeing similar issues with Garmin coach. Start a workout in coach and most of the time the watch goes blank mid session with or without GPS (treadmill or outdoor) run.

Watch reset which didn’t help. 

I thought it was Garmin coach causing the issue, however after reading the other comments it doesn’t sound like it.

I was thinking it was a battery issue, however there were no other battery related issues coming up.

I have called Garmin and logged an issue with them and waiting to hear back. 

• Maybe you can try the latest Beta 5.02 and give your feedback under the relevant Post or to garmin support ?

forums.garmin.com/.../forerunner-45-series-beta-sw-5-02---now-available

Version Type Description
    5.02b Fixed Fixed a bug where Body Battery data could stop updating.
    5.02b Improved Improved GPS reliability.
    4.40 Improved Improvements to Bluetooth performance and stability.
    4.32b Improved Improved Bluetooth stability.
    4.30 Fixed Fixed an issue that could dismiss sensor update pages before the update completes.
    4.30 Fixed Fixed an issue that could cause temperatures to be displayed in Fahrenheit when units are set to Celsius.
    4.20 Added Added the ability to rate the perceived effort and feel of a Run or Bike activity. The prompts appear during activity save. Select an activity, and go to Options > Self Evaluation for options.
    4.20 Fixed Fixed a bug that could cause crashes when saving an activity.
    4.14b Added Added the ability to rate the perceived effort and feel of a Run, Bike, or Swim activity. The prompts appear during activity save. Go to [Activity] Settings > Self Evaluation for options.
    4.14b Fixed Fixed an issue that could cause device crashes when saving an activity.
    4.10 Fixed Fixed an issue that could cause text in the History menu to be cut off.
    4.10 Fixed Fixed an issue that could cause duplicate activities to be shown when viewing the day's activities through the MyDay widget.
    4.10 Fixed Fixed an issue that could cause crashes during Assistance.
    4.01b Fixed Fixed a bug that could cause duplicate activities to be shown in the MyDay widget.
    4.01b Fixed Fixed cut off text that could be displayed in the activity History menu.
    4.01b Fixed Fixed a crash that could occur when requesting Assistance.
    3.82b Improved Improved Bluetooth stability.