This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Forerunner 45S GPS issues

Hi...

Purchased a Foreunner 45S in April 2020. From the start the connection to GPS was poor and inconsistent. Sometimes it would connect, but generally after 5 minutes still no connection so would start running. Did not make any difference if clear day or overcast, buildings or not, trees or open, Glonass or Galileo. Husband has a 235 so was familiar with how fast connection normally happens. 

Contacted Garmn who advised reset to be done. Completed, okay for a run or two then back to problems. Reset a few times, turned on / off. Still poor connection. Comparing to partners 235, the inaccuracy was about 50-100m per kilometre. 

To Garmins credit, they took watch back and replaced within three days. First run this morning with new watch....same problem. 

Has anyone had poor connection to GPS with 45S? If so, how did you fix? 

Top Replies

All Replies

• That's a pain. Have you tried the default "GPS + GLONASS"? I assume the firmware is the current 3.60, but can you get a version number for the GPS subsystem, perhaps via Garmin Express?

• Hi Chazzo...

Thank you for responding. Yes..I've tried GP + Glonass - made no difference, and yes, it's up to date firmware 3.60. I'm not sure about the GPS subsystem version, as I don't know where to find it, I've looked through Garmin Express. 

• OK, we have a new problem – the forum has just deleted my carefully composed reply. Here we go with v2.

I agree there's no mention of GPS versions in Garmin Express. I was going by this announcement, but you'd expect the latest firmware to include the latest GPS, so it's probably a red herring.

I'm stumped. If there are production problems somewhere along the chain, It's not totally impossible that you've bad hardware on both FR45s, but that's a horrible prospect. So frustrating. My own unit is fine in terms of both acquisition time and GPS accuracy. Good luck.

• I got the EXACT same problem...and no solution yet =(

• Hi...I've been able to work it out and get my watch to work but have no definitive solution to how or why, it was a bunch of things I did. 

1. I always download / sync / update the watch as often as possible. I sync through connecting to my smart phone or connecting directly to my PC. i habitually check for updates; 

2. I chose the Glonass GPS system;

3. I never charge the watch directly via wall socket - it's only charged via usb on PC while it's connected to garmin connect; 

4. I reset the watch at least five times during a one week period, it was painful having to go through all the details but seemed to help. If I knew I was going for a run while i was having issues i'd reset before going out. Sure enough it would connect to GPS and it was fine. It was like it needed to find the gps to realise what it was looking for. I had to repeat this a few times but its worked. 

Have a go at these things - maybe a combination will help. 

Cheers

• So glad to hear you've got it working, even though you've ended up with a painfully complicated ritual. I hope that over time you might be able to eliminate some of the steps.

I'm now on 3.80 and recently I've sometimes had to wait more than five minutes for a satellite lock (GPS + GLONASS), whereas previously it was always much quicker (usually around 15 seconds). Changing units from km to miles seemed to provoke this, but it may have been a coincidence (changing back to km hasn't helped). Accuracy is generally fine, though, whereas you previously said you had massive errors.

Especially when you're using only one satellite service, there will always be occasions when there are not enough satellites high in the sky to give the watch a good view. At those times, accuracy may be lower and it may take longer to get a fix. So that complicates any attempt to compare start-up times.

If you travel a long way or reset the GPS, the subesquent "cold start" also requires downloading much more data from the satellites, so it takes longer. I'm not sure whether resetting the watch would have this effect. Perhaps the watch is somehow failing to store the data it needs for a "warm start".

• We bought my partner a 45s a few days ago and it is hopeless! Same problem. Took about 30minutes to get location. Never shows the green ring that indicates GPS lock. The weirdest thing the walk she uploaded to Strava this morning: She got sick of waiting for the GPS lock and started recording anyway. When she uploaded it, only the second half of the track shows up but the distance shown is correct for the whole 8.5km walk!

• Hi alanfw

Yes - same issue with Strava at this end - shows only half the map when we start after being tired of waiting! Really odd. We even hear it chime saying it's found the satellite 25mins after starting. 

A few things I have done which i have varying levels of success..

1. Don't charge through plugging in to wall socket; Not sure what your set up is but when I need to charge I connect to my PC and let it charge that way. 

2. Sync via Garmin phone app regularly especially after you have completed an activity. I have found that the next time i use to track activity (next day or tow in most cases) the GPS connects quickly. I find this to be the most consistent good thing for ensuring it connects with gps. Every now and then it takes it's time or we give up and start anyway. 

3. Turn off / on every now and then (menu option); 

4. The most painful is to reset - access through menu. You need to resync to your device but can help. 

Hope these help. 

• After spending hours on this watch - syncing, updating, deleting CPE file and updating, resetting to factory, it's still not working. Just set it up for a "run" and went out to hang out the washing while "wait for GPS" was displayed. Finished hanging out the washing so did some weeding in the garden. Still no GPS!!!  Good thing I'm retired and have time on my hands!  This watch is going back to the shop today! Garmin have lost my business! Shame, because my own Forerunner 35 has been fine (unless I have bluetooth turned on, when it plays havoc with music streaming from my phone).

• Do you think they are reading this? Support is far beyond what it should be!