This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Optical HR monitor still crap after 18.23 update

Hey,

Just want to vent my frustration at the optical HR accuracy like the many other threads. I had hoped the promised fix in 18.23 would fix it, but it didn’t. Today I had to stop a run to fact check the HR by feeling my pulse and counting. The issue is always in the first few kms of a run when it stays 20-30 beats below where it should be. 
I do have a HR band but why should I have to wear it when I have a watch with an optical sensor?

• You have to wear chest strap, you can never get accurate heart readings on watches with optical sensors, they will always lag and be behind chest strap. You should not use the OHR sensor for strenuous activities.

• Yeah this isn’t my first Garmin with an optical heart rate sensor - but it is the worst one. I wore a 935 for 6 years before this watch. I’m not talking intervals and expecting it not to lag. I’m talking about it being totally wrong. 

I expect a watch to be somewhat accurate and can accept a slight lag for long steady runs. 

And if the optical heart rate sensor doesn’t work for running then Garmin has failed hard with this watch and makes a lot of claims that aren’t true. 

• All, 

Please use THIS thread regarding the OHR sensor on 18.2X. I am locking this so we can keep the topic organized and so all announcements can be easily seen.

Thank you!