Heartrate so inaccurate that my watch is basically useless for training

I got my Forerunner 265 about a year ago and I have loved almost everything about it.  I love the touch interface, the AMOLED screen, sleep analysis, training readiness, etc.  But I have been trying to use it to track my training and the heartrate is so inaccurate that it is basically useless.  Today was a good example, I just wanted to go for a 40 minute run on my lunch break.  I took the watch off, cleaned the sensor, strapped it snuggly on my wrist in the suggested spot and headed out on a run.  My goal was to get some good Zone 2 progress.  Instead one minute into my run, I glance down and I'm in zone 5.  I check my heart rate manually and I'm actually in zone 1.  I let the watch calm down and try again.  Same thing.  I do this for two miles.  I eventually discard the run because it's so crazy.  But now I've run 2 miles that won't be recorded.  Not the end of the world.  But my lunch break is almost over so I try again.  Basically the same deal.  I keep stopping to let my watch try to get in sync with reality, but by the time I'm done my watch now thinks I was doing an interval workout.  Having gone through this frustrating process a few times, my mileage, my load focus, my max heart rate, my training load, basically everything are now all out of whack.  Can't get good heart rate data running, biking, rowing, or stair climbing Disappointed

• Since the update to version 18.22, the heart rate is not always correct. During my last run, the first 2 kilometers were much too low. I had to pause the activity for a view seconds and after restarting it was correct. And last weekend I ran very fast and Garmin showed a heart rate that was much too low. After about 3 minutes the value was back to normal. I've had the watch for a long time and before the update there were no such problems :-( So unfortunately my lactate test was a waste of time and money :-(

• Same problem here.

It worked relatively well when I bought the 265 a year ago (even in cold temperatures and worn on the wrist like today). Then it got worse and worse. Even with the current 18:23 version, the run today was a disaster. Fast run with HR max 148, making the analyses and training programmes worthless. The advice to use a chest strap seems like a mockery to me (came from Garmin Service). If the arm sensor is worthless, this should also be stated so clearly when advertising the very expensive watch on the homepage. If it is a hardware problem, an offer should be made to replace the watch. A software problem is unacceptable one year after release and reasonable functionality at the beginning. As a long-standing Garmin customer, I am extremely disappointed.

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

• Sorry to say, these steps are not very useful...
    the OHR broke with release 18., FW 17 was not perfect but way better than the current version.  
    Warm up before the activity? Sorry, that must be joke. The measured pulse is making strange jumps also when I'm fully warmed up, and it's not giving me the right pulse anyway, so I do know if I'm in the right zone to begin with???

• Dont use the watch ohr when you are doing intense exercises, its useless. They are never accurate and can never keep up with your current HR. The only options are Chest Strap like Polar H10 or any other brand or the Polar Verity Sense or similar to that, which are meant for accurate HR readings.

I know the watch is expensive but now that you have it, the only major purpose it will serve is accurate gps and data storage...

The watch HR works only when you are not doing any activity, but there is one more issue that I face these days, whenever my HR slows down to almost near my resting rate when I am sitting idle...it starts considering it as a nap...so I have to keep moving Joy

• Guys, would you say that the 265 should simply be avoided? I just need a reliable watch to help me exercise, should I just get an Instinct 2/2x instead and be done with it?

• What makes you think Instinct 2 is better when it comes to OHR tracking?

• Nothing at all, I just suspect that it is in a better state, software wise, due to the lack of complaints.

• There have been complaints for OHR for Instinct 2 as well. Just not as many because Forerunner 265 is more popular with runners than Instinct 2. Just that you know, posts about OHR complaints on instinct 2 were not paid attention to and fell into oblivion without solving the issues. Due to 265 users being more vocal, OHR issues were picked up by Garmin. But it took a long time for Garmin to admit there is a problem and the problem is obviously not yet resolved. When OHR tracking is improved on 265/965, it will be improved on other watches sharing same OHR (including Instinct 2).

• That urges me to just get a cheap Coros and pair it with a chest strap monitor... Frankly I prefer to get a Garmin though 

• I take back my previous comment. I've found a good deal for the 255, so it is a no brainer.