This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sleep tracking way off - time to adapt?

Second night using my watch... My sleep tracking has been way off. Last night for example I have a 1+ hour block of "awake" around 2am.. Which did not happen. I feel like I had a great sleep and feel refreshed and my BB recovery was awful. My previous fitbit was much better at tracking sleep, which sucks cause I thought this watch was an upgrade from that. I am wondering if the watch takes time to adapt like some other metrics?

• My experience of Garmin sleep tracking on the similar 255 is that it’s very inaccurate. I’ve been using it for the last 6 or 7 weeks, so it should have had time to adapt. I’ve been up for the last hour, checking my emails etc and talking to my wife. As I am reading your post my watch thinks I’m still asleep! My Fitbit Inspire 2 seems more accurate. It does at least know that I’m awake!

• The "Sleep Tracking" on my 265 has worked ONCE during the first 10 days. Not happy about this.

Of course this effects other data (from manual):

Your "training readiness" is a score and a short message that helps you determine how ready you are for training each day. The score is continuously calculated and updated throughout the day using these factors:
    • Sleep score (last night)

• Recovery time

• HRV status

• Acute load

• Sleep history (last 3 nights)

• Stress history (last 3 days)

Maybe someone (from Garmin) can chime in and provide solutions(?).

• I recently switched from a fr 935 to a fr 965. I wouldn't call it an upgrade. I just have a new watch. After 6 years the battery of my 935 was to much  degraded (ok, it could have lasted an other year, I also wanted a new gadget ;).

Sleeptracking on my 935 was very inaccurate. Sleeptracking on my 965 is very inaccurate. Really no difference at all. It's probably me. I have a very low resting heartrate and sit quiet, and when I'm awake at night, lay down quiet. So my watch mistakes watching a movie in the evening and being awake in the middel of the night for sleep (including random deep sleep, rem etc.)

This makes a lot of stats on the watch quite unreliable. But I didn't bought a watch for the garmin random data marketing bla bla. The only reason I bought a 965 over a 265 is battery life. When the battery is more degraded in 5 years time, I hope I still have decent battery life left (just as my 935 did) and the slightly bigger screen, which is nice for my aging eyes.

I understand the outcry, but also face it: garmin is a company driven by marketing. Sleepscore is in the featurelist, marketing is happy, nothing is going to do about it to make it actually work. marketing isn't interested in working or useful features, only in a longer featurelist than others. 

• Sleep tracking accuracy seem to be very personal. It is terrible for some, and very good for others. For me it is consistently spot on. Of course, I cannot check the sleep stages, but the awake time and the general feeling always match.

Also, I would not worry about trading readiness, because that is a joke. I've just arrived 25 km hiking (total ascent/descent 1000 m) and my recovery time 0 hours and trading readiness is 89. Srly?

• Awake time has been pretty accurate for me.

I know my awake time if i go to pee or when my aircon is off.

• That’s exactly the problem. Garmin uses a very simplistic algorithm. When you move you are awake, so when you don’t move (during defined sleep hours) you must be asleep.

I understand it’s difficult to determine if someone with a low resting heartrate who sits quiet, or lay down quiet is asleep or not. Just don’t advertise with it. And garmin is even worse. Garmin marketing even calls it advanced sleeptracking. Which it’s not. Not at all.