Is running lactate threshold detection working?

Hi there,

Some time ago, running lactate threshold detection was not working on this watch... then on some firmware update (I don't remember which one) it was fixed and my watch was regurlarly detecting my running lactate threshold on intense workouts.

But I am not getting any new running lactate threshold anymore for more than a month, and I am doing some awesomely intense workouts that should trigger new detections.

Is your watch detecting running lactate thresholds lately or is only failing to me? I can live without that feature, but I am curious why now is not working again...

BTW I always use a chest strap when doing running activities...

Another thing that I've noticed, is that now OHR light is always on even when I am using a chest strap... Before, OHR was off while chest strap was connected... Probably unrelated, but I find it strange.

Best,
   Kurt.-

• I can't imagine any scenario where this would be necessary.

For example

forums.garmin.com/.../activity-uses-wrist-hr-when-hrm-strap-connection-drops

Another case I've heard of is running near power lines. You can also add problems with poor belt hydration or with the battery.

• In my scenario I only use the external strap maybe 10-20%. These are intervals, LTHR, or VO²max run. In all other cases - the base, long runs,  I am quite satisfied with the quality of the OHRS. But if I put on a strap, I want to see data only from it.

• global_local said:I can't imagine any scenario where this would be necessary.

In my scenario

English is not my native language.

From the first sentence, I realized that you generally cannot imagine a scenario when this would be necessary, and not just for you personally.

That's the only reason I brought them up.

• The only scenario imho would be if there is the possibility of recording with both sources in order to check the differences in values between OHR and chest strap, but that's just a single scenario

• I don't think that, at the current state of the technology, you can just start the OHR sensor when the HR strip fails, because the OHR needs some time to start reading the pulse, so it needs to stay on all the time in the eventuality that the HR band fails.

Having said that, I don't see what the problem is in having the option to choose if to use this functionality or if to disable it. The ones who just want to use the HR band like in the past will have the option to do so.

The only complaint is that Garmin should explain how/when does this work, so that we, users, can decide if it's worth to use it or not and how effective this is. Adding obscure features with vague descriptions is pretty useless.

• Hi there,

Definitely LTHR detection is working in the last firmware (18.27) ... today I got a new detection after a demanding anaerobic workout with high HR (the highest HR in months).

It seems that lately my HR was lower than usual (I guess that, for a change, I am in good shape right now), and probably I have to lower my maximum HR as suggested, because it's been more than a year since I updated it. I do it manually because automatic max HR detection does not work very well with me.

As I am getting older my HR goes lower and lower... as also do my pace, but trying to keep up, more or less :)

Best,
       Kurt.-

• I'm on 19.13 beta, such I don't recommend because some issues, with the optical HR it's never detect a new threshold with it enabled auto detect, like this since I buyed some months ago, then I started using the chest strap and it's regularly giving new measures, by the way, lactate threshold normally doesn't change much if you're in good form, likewise Vo2Max, but definitely with chest strap much more precision

• The watch needs some training in zone 4 and zone 5 to detect new mhr and th