To push or not to push Lap Button during Cadence drill and Acceleration-glider drill? Coach Jeff 5km trainig

Hi All

I have gone through the forum, and see lots of people asking this question, but can't find an answer that makes sense.

I have a training workout of 10 minutes warm-up, 4 x Cadence Drill (30 seconds cadence, 30 seconds walk), 4 x accelaration-glide (30 seconds each), 10 minutes cool down.

I feel every time a new drill starts and I push the lap button, I shoudnt have!  And when I don't push the lap button then it doesn't start the new lap!  I'm so confused!  With common sense, I would think I should push the lap buttons as such:

10 minutes - push lap button to start 30 seconds cadence

10:30 minutes - push lap button to start walk

11 minutes - push lap button to start 30 seconds cadence

11:30 minutes - push lap button to start walk

12 minutes - push lap button to start 30 seconds cadence

12:30 minutes - push lap button to start walk

13 minutes - push lap button to start 30 seconds cadence

13:30 minutes - push lap button to start walk

14 minutes - push lap button to start accelaration glide

14:30 minutes - push lap button to start accelaration glide

15 minutes - push lap button to start accelaration glide

15:30 minutes - push lap button to start accelaration glide

16 minutes - push lap button to start 10 minute cool down

It just seems that sometimes the Garmin (Instinct) starts a lap on its own, and sometimes it doesn't, and I can't figure out the pattern....and even though I'm running the drill perfectly according to Jeff's plan, Garmin keeps telling me there is room for improvement....lol....I would love a comprehenc=sive answer or an exact youtube example to see where I'm going wrong.

PS...on the run-walk-run drill, I pushed the lap button and it skipped the drills!  So frustrating....so don't use the lap button for that drill!

• Usually on these workouts you need to press the lap button only fat the end of the warmup to signify the start of the intervals.  The rationale is that you need to be in a proper place to start, not waiting for the light to change, or on that really steep hill by the track.  So you start the workout, finish the warmup, figure, "yeah, this is a good place to do cadence drills," and then go. After that, you should just go and stop when the watch tells you to. Some hill workouts have you press the button at the start of every uphill, because they want you to have a chance to get into position at the bottom of the hill before you go again.

In general there is very little button pressing during workouts. The device knows how far you have gone and how much time has elapsed, so why should you have to tell it?

I too have many times started off on my first fast lap only to realize that it wasn't in the right mode yet.

• Thank you! Makes sense, I will try that on my next run.  Regards

• Thank you for explaining. I'll give it a try on the next run.

Whish the developer thought to offer such an explination.