This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Broken case on Forerunner 245

Registered my Forerunner 245 on 21st August 2020. Today part of the case broke off (near where the band is attached) while wearing the watch just walking at home. This makes it unusable because there is now no way of holding the band on the watch. Extremely disappointed in the quality of this expensive product.

• Have you contacted Garmin Support. They are generally very good at addressing issues with their product.

• I’m in Australia and Garmin Exchange is not available in my country.

• Also my watch is over 2.5 years old. Reading other posts with similar complaints it seems that (for shipping costs and a fee) Garmin has been replacing some units but they were all fairly new, less than 2 years old. Given this seems to be a fairly frequent problem I will not spend further money on Garmin and “vote with my feet”.

• While I think you're probably right about not getting a good resolution from support, it minimal effort to email and ask. The turn around time to get an answer back usually isn't quick.

Did it break on one of the "band arms" that except the pin or further up on the case it's self?

• Went poking around since I have a 245 (no issue so far)

I found some interesting info on reddit.

Search for " reddit Has anyone had there watch case break where the strap pins connect? "  And they did misspell there watch instead of their watch.

• One of the “band arms” broke.

There is no published email address for Garmin support here in Australia - only options are telephone or “chat”. Sick of dealing with large companies where you wait inordinate amounts of time to talk to a representative who provides unhelpful scripted replies or inane “chat” bots. Invariably it is designed to minimise their support costs and dissuade customers.

• Have done extensive Google searches, which is how I came to the conclusion that this is not an isolated problem and will not be corrected without giving Garmin still more money for what appears to be a known defect.

• [email protected] is the email address I've used, as far as I know it's the general Gamin support address.

At least as far as it relates to my experience in the US, my biggest beef has been the policy that a person can't down grade firmware. The replies by email have been slow but they have at least been polite and for the most part tried to be helpful, though somewhat disconnected from current product issues as reported in the forums.

Compared to some other companies I've have the misfortune to need support from, Samsung and Asus come quickly to mind, Garmin support is refreshing. Even a small glass of water is refreshing compared to none in the desert.

I'll throw in a big Kudos to Sportsman's Warehouse, they were very (out of their way) helpful on a warranty situation with a week old Garmin watch.