This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Forerunner 245 distance measurement really sucks

Hello

I posted time ago this issue.

My FR 245 latest update (12.10, GPS 6.6 Sensor Hub 18) measure almost half of the real distance traveled.

Time ago I made acomplete  reset to see if this issue could be solved, but no way it happened.

I went for many walking/MTB/wingfoiling sessions and my measurement are awful.
Yesterday I made a wingfoil session that is FLAT, 12Km on my 245, 16 on google earth

Two days ago I went for hiking trip, 14Km the followed track, 7.14 km my 245, 15Km a phone of a friend of mine, 12.2Km Google earth.

What happens with this device?

Thanks

• i have seme problem. My whifes F245 shows (during running) 15K after over 16,5K run activity on my F6xPro. Even Casio G-Shock shows 16,5K.

It was not first time becouse in Rome during the Marathon F245 stops tracking route after 36K, but distance was correct ...

I was written about this in topic on "Beta forum".

FR245, missing part of activity. - Community Discussion - Forerunner 245 Series - Garmin Forums

And nobody has aswered me ... Stange 

• What happens with this device?

Have you contacted Garmin Support? Maybe something with your device is not ok.

And sorry to ask, sure you waited, until you had a fix for GPS?

I had the FR 245 for more than two years and dozens of runs on my „home track“, which is 10,3 km according to Google maps. Usually my FR245 showed values between 10,28 and 10,38km, sometimes little less or little more. I never had more than 1% difference!

• Yes I did and at that time they told me to completely reset the device and to use USB connection to reinstall firmware.

Then I got a surgery to my knee and didn't use my device for a long period.

Now I'm practicing sport again and the problem still exist.

My device is out of warranty.

Every time I wait until the top bar is green and I hear a beep.

• Ok, very strange indeed. Such a big difference in distance must be some kind of bug or hardware problem.

Have you checked, if „3D distance“ for activity is activated? In other threads this was identified as source of errors - it should be set to „off“, then distance measurement will be more reliable and consistent.

• Where is "3D distance", on device or on garmin connect website?

• It is on the device, but not in general options, but in options for each activity type (e.g. running).

So Settings - Activities - … - … settings - 3D distance/ pace

I am not really sure if the 245 has this, as I have a 255 by now, but you should check.

All 3D settings should be „off“

• Hello again,

after last beta update 12.51 distance was quite good (marathon 42,70K), pace measured all time, full track registered. I think it works ;) But is must be tested.

walk between buildings also registered without problems (not "straight line" - this is gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarmin :) )

• Hello

I finally found what the problem was.

There is a setting called "Auto pause" under each activity.

I enabled that because I thought it got better time measurement but it creates a mess with distance track.

I think that when running/walking each time it goes to pause then it take some time to restart when you move and the distance between pause and restart is not accounted in distance measurement. Strange behaviour...

Now, with that setting off my last 2 measurements are almost good (300m on 7Km windsurfing and 80m on 12Km windsurfing, good!)