This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Racing virtual partner: time ahead wrong

Time to revisit an old thread. forums.garmin.com/.../virtual-partner-on-245-series-not-showing-time-ahead-or-behind

===

Ran today, 6 miles odd, and tried it. That prompted me to search for someone else with the same problem. In today's case, the moment I pressed "go" it showed me 1 hour, 13 minutes, 10 seconds ahead. If I ran a bit faster, it would say 1:13:08 ahead. If I ran a bit slower, it would say 1:13:12 - and change to behind. So it looked like, if I ran exactly in pace with my previous activity, it would think I was 1:13:10 behind. As you say, it somehow knew that this differential represented exactly on track, because faster than 1:13:10 behind, and it says "ahead" with white background, slower it says "behind" and changes to black background.

In the end, I finished the run 1:12:47 "behind". Sure enough, look at the actual run time, and compare it to the one I was running against, and I beat my previous time by 23 seconds.

===

That was what I wrote. Eventually this was picked up and a solution offered effective from version 11.04. I can't confirm for sure that it was fixed then, but it's definitely doing this now. As the original thread is locked, I'm starting a new one.

Yesterday I ran, and the whole time I had to add 33 seconds onto the time showing as ahead to find out how ahead I was. When I pressed start, the watch showed me as 33 seconds ahead. Drop back a couple of seconds, it shows 35 seconds behind. Speed up 4 seconds, it says ahead again, this time by 31 seconds. Keep speeding up, it eventually reached level with by comparison, then the numbers started increasing again. 1.5 miles in, it showed me as being 1 minute 26 seconds ahead. Once home, I could look at Garmin Connect, find the 1.5 mile mark, and see I was actually 1 minute 59 seconds ahead. And so on.

Software version: 11.79

• Min is always -1m 03s ahead when I start. It gradually ticks down to 0 when I run faster than my "ghost", then it starts going upward again, showing +time ahead. I always have to calculate in my head what the real difference is. Has been like this for half a year now. Tried updating software, restarting clock, no change. Happens for different runs.