This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Cycling VO2 Max

I cycle on Zwift using a smart trainer, which is a power meter. I use my FR245 watch to send my heart rate to Zwift.  Once in July and once and September, my Cycling VO2 Max was updated on Garmin after a Zwift ride.  I have done many Zwift rides in between those dates and since then.  These rides are all hard enough to meet the heart rate thresholds to calculate my VO2 Max.  My running VO2 Max updates after every run .  I cannot figure out why I got a Cycling VO2 Max two times in 4 months while other Zwift rides during that time did not update it with the same data available.  Can anyone explain if this is normal and if not, how to get more frequent Cycling VO2 Max updates?

• If I'm not mistaken this is a bug because F245 isn't supposed to support cycling power data or give cycling vo2

• Maybe. I think the cycling VO2 Max is actually being calculated from data from Zwift. I know they announced that Zwift data now contributes to Training Load and Cycling VO2Max started showing up for me around the same time. 

• I have a similar issue. Using Zwift and Schwin IC4 so I have power data from the bike. also using the Schwin HR Monitor. I am getting power data and HR data on my Connect App and the power data and HR data are also showing on the Forerunner 945. All this updates when I do a ride on Zwift. Exercise Load and 7 Day Load are also updating on the Connect App. The same load Data is also being updated on the watch after every ride. So all that is fine. The issue is VO2 Max for Cycling is not being updated. It recorded a value on August 15 and nothing since then. My training status says no status. I mostly cycle but twice a week I hike and the VO2 Max recently updated (but not the Cycling VO2 Max). I have tried updating profile data, updating software, resyncing with my computer, powering down and back up - but nothing triggers an update to cycling VO2 Max and no training status. My rides typically have over 20 continuous minutes of effort over 70% Max HR so not sure what the issue is. Sometimes I run with the Forerunner on and sometimes I don't have it on. I do not start an activity on the Forerunner since it is coming from Zwift. Any suggestions. Should I start an indoor bike activity on the forerunner while using Zwift on the bike? I can't connect the watch to the Schwin via Bluetooth and use Zwift at the same time and the Schwin does not support ANT - but to me the issues seems to be a software issue since the Scwhin data is getting to the connect app and the watch. It just wont update Cycling VO2 Max or Training status. 

• I ended up contacting Garmin support and they were much more helpful and willing to help than I expected. They looked at my activity history and agreed that my Zwift activities should be producing VO2 Max updates. They bumped it to a review by their tech staff. A couple days later my VO2 Max has updated on two straight Zwift rides. So something seems to have changed, either just on my account or they found something with Zwift data in general that needed fixing. 

I don't know if your issue is the same. My training status seemed to be updating. But I would recommend contacting Garmin support if you feel something is not working right.