This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

unable to manually update firmware

I manually updated the firmware on my FR 245 to 4.40 in Jan. 2020.  I downloaded the latest firmware and copied GUPDATE.GCD to /GARMIN, but when I disconnect the watch, it does not update so I'm still on ver 4.40.  What should I try to manually update from 4.40?

• Do you by any chance have the APAC instead of the ROW version of the watch?

• not sure.  searching for APAC and ROW: users say to look on box for part number and languages.  languages on my box are: english, french, spanish.  number on box is: 010-02120-00 - not sure if that is 'part number.' The unit ID on watch is: 3320723813

• Looks to be a ROW model. I take it you are trying to update to the 8.02 beta? Have you tried updating to the latest stable version either via connect or express?

• I'm on Linux, so need to update manually. Can I update to latest stable manually?

• If you own a smartphone running either Android or iOS you can use connect. Another option is to try install express on Linux (using Wine) by following this guide. I'm not aware of a direct download link for the latest stable.

• I have the Connect App and I have Auto Update enabled - but have never received an update - it just seems to update my Apps and sync Activity Data, not the device software. Is there a way to force a manual firmware update on the Connect app?

• Do have "Auto Update" enabled on your watch? If updating via connect doesn't work then you can either try installing express or you can install Windows or macOS in a VM (My prefered choice, since i don't like Wine) Another option (Even less favorable) is to using a friends computer. Last but not least you can contact Garmin Support and ask them to send you the files.

• thank you Garminion.  my windows VM is XP, so not new enough.  I'd rather not mess with wine so I requested some previous firmware versions from Garmin via email.  I hope the update from firmware 4.40 to the most recent is too big a jump and some older updates will help me 'bridge' to the most recent firmware.

• Garmin responded to my email requesting older firmware, they said to use Garmin Express.  I explained a second time that I'm on linux and do not have access to Windows, they responded back and said to use Garmin Express, I responded back again saying I could not use Garmin Express.  Garmin rep responded back again and said to use Garmin Express. 

It's like they don't even read my emails - it was an individual responding, not a Bot.  very frustrating.

• Sorry to hear that. Perhaps one of the mods here can help? @ Garmin-Dan, Garmin-Brooks