This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Too many steps

I tried 2 garmin fr45s, issue, fast too many steps, about +3 times more than real (real by manually count or old farming watch). I returned them both.

Now I bought a more expensive fr245, and the daily step count is way to high too.

Reseted, last FW, etc...

I see, a lot of posts with this issue, zero solutions. 

I contacted Garmin s SAT, all they can offer is a "possible" giroscope repair on a new watch. Low chance of success repairing, makes it not worth trying. 

• Maybe you’re counting them wrong yourself?

FR45 and FR245 don’t even have a gyroscope.

• How do they count steps with no gyroscope?
    I'm very positive about those watches being wrong. Yesterday, my partner did as much steps working in a desk as me running 10k and being active.
    We compare steps graph at connect, and being together she do +3x times more steps.

It's very sad for me, I was looking to buy my partner to have a Garmin too. but as it is now, I will be returning the Garmin to buy another brand...And I don't see any other brands/models I like that much as those 2 watches (FR45S and FR245 music, both white)

PS: I see, they have an accelerometer only...I guess they can improve the algorithm to diferenciate between random movements and steps in the future.

PS: I found an interesting post about "how to calibrate the accelerometer". It's automatically calibrated when doing activities WITH GPS, the more you use it, the best its calibration will be.
    That said, it gives me hope to put it to practice and do some long walks to try to "auto-calibrate" itself.

• Running and walking with GPS doesn't look to be helping with the number of steps counted so far.

• Are you sure your partners step count is correct? It sounds like something is going wrong there if they get more steps than you by just standing around, that shouldn’t be the case.

• Well NO SOLUTION at the end...the watch counts x3 more steps than normal.

• I have a new FR245 and find I’m also being awarded steps for no reason.  Today I earned 450 steps for sitting down eating breakfast and reading a book, and it’s an Ebook so I wasn’t even turning pages. I then got another 100 steps on my 10min drive to work.

I find the count is quite accurate when I’m intentionally walking, but the daily steps stat is pointless if it’s including any random movement  at home.

My partner has a Vivoactive 3 and doesn’t have this problem, her steps don’t record until she’s doing a proper walking motion.

Is this a hardware issue? Or is there an update I need to install? I really like the watch otherwise, just this one thing is disappointing.

• Garmin is registering typing, showering and other activities that involve your hands as steps