This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Show upcoming turn info on same screen as pace?

Hi folks,

With my new Forerunner 245 I like to run following a course while trying to maintain a pace. I want to have the current pace displayed on the same screen as the upcoming turn info (e.g. in 200m slight right turn). The map screen constantly shows the upcoming turn info, no matter how far away it is (here sharp left in 155m):

The screen with the pace (and other running data fields) briefly shows which way to turn when I'm at the turn, or about 20m before, but this isn't really enough warning: 

Currently I'm having to scroll between the map screen and the running data screen, but this is inconvenient. Is there any way to get this turn info onto the running data screen permanently? Or get it to alert me sooner than 20m before? Or alternatively display the pace on the map screen? The closest thing I've found is to add to the running data screen distance to next and next waypoint fields:

But this is not great - it is much easier to see a little arrow than read text saying e.g. "Slt. right" in a small font. Yes I can put the distance to next in a smaller field than in the photo but it would be nice if the arrow and the distance were in the same field.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks a lot.

Alex

• I don't have a 245.  Does it have have the auto scroll feature for data fields?  I can set my 935 and 945 to scroll at a fast, medium, or slow speed.  No button presses and no smaller data fields for information I need.  If it does, test what speed works for you. 

• Yes the 245 does have auto scroll so maybe that's an option

• It might be a workaround if it's not possible to configure the turn info to be always visible. I'll experiment with it. One thought I have is that there can be many screens - navigation screens if navigating a course, run screens when running, PacePro screens if following a PacePro strategy - does it scroll through all of them? I think I'd only want it to scroll between 2 screens. And can you pause it scrolling if e..g I'm lost and need to look at the map? Of course the manual is no help. 

• I don't know if programming it with the turn info on every screen is possible, but I never tried either.  If you use auto scroll, it scrolls through all the data fields you set. You won't be able to set it for say 2 of 4.  Give the scrolling option at different speeds a try.  You may like it.  As far as needing to look at a certain data field immediately, you can just press your button to advance manually while still in auto scroll mode. 

• Pretty sure it will scroll through all the screens set up. Not sure you can pause it as I haven't used the feature in a long time. When I do trails and use the navigation I have only 2 screens set up. I use a connectIQ data field called Dozen Run and the other screen is the nav/map. Dozen Run allows a lot of info on one screen and it's configuration can be changed to suit

• I just checked.  I have mine set at slow and it changes the screen every 4 seconds.  I didn't time the others speeds, but I remember fast was much too quick for me.  I'm also a data junkie and have 5 different screens and 6 if I want to use maps on the 945.

• After a forum search, it appears the turn distance alert isn't programmable.  The distance is based on your speed, so you should get alerts sooner while cycling than you would running. I found nothing on adding the turn notice icon to every data field.  Have you checked to see if there's an app that will do this in the IQ store? 

• After a forum search, it appears the turn distance alert isn't programmable.  The distance is based on your speed, so you should get alerts sooner while cycling than you would running. I found nothing on adding the turn notice icon to every data field.  Have you checked to see if there's an app that will do this in the IQ store? 

• I don't know if this will be the same on the 245, but on my 945 I can go in data field settings, choose navigate and then 'distance to next', or 'time to next'.  It's my assumption you can set this up for turns while running a course.  I don't have any courses set on my watch to test. The only downside is you'd have to add this field to every data screen you use to always see it.  Just throwing out another option. 

• To be clear, I don't want to add the turn info (for want of a better phrase, I mean the arrow and distance to next turn) to every screen. I just want to add it to my main pace screen. 

Or, alternatively, add the pace field to the map screen.

Or, and this seems to be impossible, configure the turn prompt to give me more advance notice of the turn. 

I will have a look in the IQ store, good suggestion. Thanks.