This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Bug (IMHO) on Forerunner 245 device

Sorry if this has already been brought up...

I cannot find a way to display the cumulative time on my Forerunner 245 device. If I download the run, all the data is there in Garmin Connect (I use the desktop version). The cumulative time is the third column - right after lap number and lap time. That's right where it should be - it's the third most important piece of data that I want to see.

If I review the run on the device, I can see the times for each lap. If I drill down into the lap data, I see a whole bunch of stuff: calories, cadence, avg. HR, max HR, etc. I *don't* see the one piece of data that would really be useful - the cumulative time. 

I don't know how in the world this software made it out the door. In this regard, my $300 Garmin is less functional than my $30 Timex Ironman. (Or any other stopwatch I've ever seen.) 

I don't know how to find the version of the software on the device. I do run several times per week and update the software whenever something's available. So I assume it's whatever the latest software version is.

I also have my watch set to automatically use one mile laps.

• So, when you scroll through the widgets and select 'last run' mine shows total distance for the week, last run distance and last run's total time. (I can't upload a photo as it only allows me to link to an URL and not insert a .jpg)  Does yours not do this?  Then when I press 'start' to show more info the watch then shows me total distance for the week, last run distance, a small map, total time and pace.  Again does yours not do this??

As for finding the software version, long press the centre left button, press again once for system, then press 'start' and scroll right down to system, press 'start' again and it will give the unit ID and software version, in my case 6.20.  

You could always read the manual here

• Hello, the cumulative time is available in many places. First, when you first complete the run, it will immediately bring up the distance, time and pace under an image of the activity performed. From that screen if you hit the top right button you'll get options like All Stats, Training Effect, Heart Rate, Laps, etc. If  you select All Stats, the first line is the time of day you started the activity, the second line is the cumulative time.

• I see that I wasn't specific enough.

I want to know the cumulative time *after each lap*. That is, if I do a 10 mile run, and each lap is 1 mile, and each lap is approximately 8 minutes, then after 5 miles the cumulative time is about 40 minutes. I want to compare my out and back times.

I would also use this at the end of the run. The run ends when I hit the stop button after I notice I've crossed the 10 mile mark. This is the number that's reported as the cumulative time of the run, which is always a couple (or tens) of seconds off. I could look at the 10 mile cumulative time to get the true time for the run.

As noted, per lap cumulative time is something I've seen on every stopwatch I've ever used - except for the Garmin Forerunner 245. It is available in Garmin Connect, but it would be much handier to have it available on the device as well. And there's a perfectly natural place to put it - in the Last Run widget next to all of the other per lap data.

Per Markw50's suggestion, the device software is 6.20 (7ae543d)

• Unless I am missing something, you can add the "Time" field to any view that will show the total time for the activity (i.e., cumulative time for all laps). There are other related fields, like "Moving Time" and "Elapsed Time" that give you slightly different metrics.

See https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=k5TPjwyAWi5f4hnObUAVf7.

• I want to know the cumulative time *after each lap*.

Hey, I have a couple of free Connect IQ data field apps that you can add to your Run activity which show you all your laps with the data of your choice (up to 3 columns), including cumulative time.

I can't help you with the inability to see cumulative lap time after you've saved your run and are reviewing laps in the activity history, but maybe one of these data field apps will help during the run (and immediately after the run, before you save it):

Lap Viewer (lap list only): https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/14e5c6b5-c9e8-44f9-a1ff-28a44148c170

Lap+ (6 fields + lap list): apps.garmin.com/.../77c83bb1-925e-4323-a2ab-e97269c3cdb9

Also, if you're looking for a simple stopwatch which can show cumulative (split) time (e.g. for track workouts), I've got an app for that too. (This one is a full app that replaces the Run activity):

Stop and Go: https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/38eddacd-e098-40ce-82d8-f45584b0a117

• , thanks for the reply.

I'm not looking to change the data fields in Garmin Connect. The default configuration on Garmin Connect already has exactly the data I'm looking for. It's labelled "Cumulative Time" on the desktop version and it's the third column (after lap number and lap time).

I want to see this information *on the device*.

• The fields identified are on device fields. You can add them to any screen on the device.

• @FlowState, thanks for the reply.

Yeessss!! Someone finally got it!

Although, I'm not much of an app guy. I would rather look at the data on Garmin Connect than mess with installing apps. But I do think this information should be available in the default Garmin device software.

I just noticed: In the Last Run widget you can display the lap times, e.g. lap 2 was 8:04.7. If you drill down into lap 2 you get lap specific data. One thing I see is a field labelled Time that shows 8:04.74. It's silly to have the same data in the drill down that's available at the higher level. I wonder if this field was meant to be the cumulative time that I'm looking for? I'd be curious to compare it to other Garmin products to see what they show for similar screens. Unfortunately, I don't have any other Garmin products.

• @FlowState, thanks for the reply.

Yeessss!! Someone finally got it!

Np. I def feel your pain. It's amazing how Garmins have so many features, but somehow the little things get missed. A lot of older Garmins didn't even have a basic stopwatch mode, meaning you had to start a run activity just to use a "stopwatch" (which is pretty clunky and slow when you want to restart the timer.) (But I find even the default Garmin stopwatch is pretty clunky when it comes to restarting it.)

I just noticed: In the Last Run widget you can display the lap times, e.g. lap 2 was 8:04.7. If you drill down into lap 2 you get lap specific data. One thing I see is a field labelled Time that shows 8:04.74.

Unfortunately that's lap time, not cumulative time. My 935 (one "generation" older than your 245) has the exact same information.

It would be nice if the lap info on the watch had cumulative time, but I guess Garmin doesn't think anyone cares about that. To be fair, a lot of their watches are super resource constrained, so I guess they have to pick and choose what features to implement.

Although, I'm not much of an app guy. I would rather look at the data on Garmin Connect than mess with installing apps. But I do think this information should be available in the default Garmin device software.

Can't argue with you there, especially because data field apps (and apps in general) have a lot of limitations on Garmin devices. For example, data fields can't really accept user input, so I had to implement a crazy hack to allow the user to "scroll" through the lap list (you have to press UP, DOWN or DOWN, UP fairly quickly to switch to the next page.)

I made those apps partly for my own use TBH, as I:

- Want to be able to look at my lap list during an activity (e.g. interval workout)

- Wanted a nicer version of the garmin stopwatch (with dark mode, clock, ability to switch the lap list from lap times to split/cumulative times, etc.)

The thing I do like about Lap+ is it's a "single run field" (with 6 fields on one page), with the ability to switch to your lap list whenever you need to (while you're waiting for a red light, resting between intervals, etc.) There are other single run fields that are arguably better (like Dozen Run), but none of them have a lap list.

If you don't care about the 6 fields, you can just download Lap Viewer, and it'll be slightly simpler to use.