This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Heart rate very high since 5.50

Over the last few weeks, I have got extremely high heart rates during runs, as this caused my VO2Max to drop dramatically I bought a Polar OH1+ optical HR strap a couple of days ago. Sure enough my reported HR dropped by about 30 to 40 BPM and my VO2Max has climbed 2 points in two days.

It is a real shame that I have to circumvent the 245 built in HRM like this. I never had any issues with the optical HR on my 645.

UPDATE 5th Dec 2020.

Although some people don't seem to think it relevant, my plummeting reported VO2Max is what alerted me to this issue as I don't generally obsess over precise HR values and the VO2Max is derived from the HR data. Since 24th Nov when I started using a Polar OH1+ HRM instead of the one built into the 245, my VO2Max has increased from 51 (the lowest I have ever seen) to 57.

In a normal course of events this would never happen.

• Did you find any solution for it? People are suggesting downgrading the firmware. 

• I found the same issue with the heart rate reading higher with this firmware. I think that they have made the HR monitoring more sensitive and it incorrectly picks up movement of the watch as heart rate. If I tighten the watch strap so that it can't move around on my wrist, then everything reads as I would expect.

• Yes I always have the strap as tight as I dare given that my 645 which still works perfectly well is unusable because the strap post broke at one end because it is weak plastic and I don't want the same thing to happen to this. Even so the heart rate is wildly high.

• Well my solution is the Polar optical HRM really which I find a real shame. I am not here to bash Garmin or claim my life has been ruined by this, I just know as a software developer myself that if people don't tell you there is a problem then you don't find out.

• Update - 5 runs using the Polar OH1+ HRM and my VO2MAX has climbed 5 points back to where I was before the firmware upgrade. The standalone watch at this point with 5.50 is not fit for purpose.

• I'm more concerned about the accuracy of the HR.. how did you find it?

I did my HM on Friday and when done it was telling me I spent 50% of the time in zone 5, which is technically impossible.. It used to be a lot better at this than this firmware.. 

• Ridiculously high which is what caused the VO2Max plummeting, it had me in zone 5 more like 60%.I am amazed that relatively few people are complaining.

• I have a complaint in the opposite direction, my heart rate during a run shows significantly lower than it is. Like, ~30 bpm lower than expected. 

Edit: well, for a handful of runs at least. After that, I experienced the same as everyone else here, 20-30bpm higher.

• I have exactly the same problem..:( The last two runs I did, my Forerunner 245 (5.50) reported average heart rates as high as 160 and maximum heart rates around 190 whilst these runs were very relaxed. Based on my experience (40 years of running) I would expect heart rates 30 beats per minute lower. I also own a Polar OH1+ HR strap which I use whilst on Zwift. My heart rates according to the Polar strap are completely in line with what I would expect. As the Polar strap is able to record my heart rate during a workout without connecting to another device I will be using both devices the next time I will be out running. But I am pretty sure that my Forerunner is not correct with its measurements anymore after the firmware upgrade. 

• Bonjour .

J'ai aussi constaté ça. je suis en 5.50. je ne sais pas quand s'est fait la mise à jour mais j'ai également constaté que depuis on va dire au moins 1 mois ma FC en course a augmenté sans savoir pourquoi. PAs plus pas moins d'entrainement. C'est trés stressant car on se demande ce qui se passe. On pense que c'est notre condition qui est moins bonne alors que non. Savez vous depuis combien de temps cette maj a été faite?  Merci à vous