This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Forerunner 245 - frequently disconnecting from Bluetooth

I have a non-music forerunner 245. These last few days, my week frequently disconnects from Bluetooth. It's happens intermittently, it's randomly disconnecting and reconnecting throughout the day. 

I just did a full factory reset on my watch this morning and I'm still having the same issue. 

Anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions?

• This is a super annoying bug on FR245. Started experiencing this issue late 2020. Tested my Bluetooth earbuds on other devices, no such issues whatsoever at all. Garmin should consider product recall if no HW fix can be provided

• 245m 

I run with GPS plus music via airpods2. The headphones disconnect themselves. Previously, this was not until version 5.0 approximately (six months did not run, just changed several versions of the software). Which version is better to roll back 5x to?

• I have the same issue for more than 6 months.

Even when my phone is in my pant pocket, the watch looses the bluetooth connection so I get no notification from the phone.

I tried:

- Upgrade the firmware to v6.85beta : not better

- Downgrade the firmware to 6.20 (which resets the watch configuration) : not better

- to pair the watch on 2 different Android phones with a different OS version (v10 vs v11) : not better

But when the watch is plugged and recharging then the bluetooth connection with the phone seems ok and I can here the watch vibrating when I receive messages even when the phone is ~5 meters away.

Is it something related to power saving? (I can't find ant tuning for that)

• Sorry but this is a joke Garmin has no answers.... I wasted $300... I got the FR 245 specifically so I could run w/ music w/o needing to carry my phone.  It is clear in my experience the BT signal from the watch is super weak b/c if I have my wrist more than a foot away from my AirPod Pros the connection is weak and then at some random time during my run the watch will cross the threshold of disconnection, then can't get it to reconnect for rest of the run.  So disappointing I will ever buy another Garmin product again, riddled with issues!

• I’ve only my used Garmins since 2008. I’ve had Forerunners 305, 220, 610, 645, and 245 and a number of non-Forerunner Garmin devices. The Bluetooth issues convinced me a Garmin didn’t deserve a 24/7 spot on my wrist. I now use an Apple Watch and my 245 on my second wrist for runs just so I can keep all my history in the same place and for workouts. It wasn’t an amicable breakup, but I haven’t looked back  

First Beat metrics are found in apps that do the same and in some cases much better, and the core functionality of the Apple Watch for the same or less cost than a Garmin watch blows the Forerunner lines out of the water. 

I keep following this thread because I’m stunned that Garmin has let this go on so long, even while adding new features to this watch. All I wanted was a reliable connection and I would have stuck with these basic and very expensive watches as a customer for life. 

PS Livetrack not working within steps because of the Bluetooth issues did nothing to keep me safe. I relied on it, Garmin. If for no other reason, fix it for this so women don’t feel the need to only run during daylight hours and draw a map with where they’re running. Every. Single. Run. Beacon on AW works flawlessly and I don’t need to carry my phone. I trusted you, Garmin. You broke that trust. 

• Hi, this is still an issue. When is this going to be fixed? Kind of annoying tbh.

• 5/24 Update:

When I first posted, I was using the Google Pixel 3a XL. I upgrade my phone to the Google Pixel 4a 5G and saw the same issue disconnecting. 

I recently purchased the Garmin Fenix 6 - in the two weeks I've had it, I've had zero bluetooth issues. 

I gave my FR245 to my friend who has the Samsung Galaxy S20, she also was experiencing frequent bluetooth disconnections. 

My guess is it's a hardware issue with the watch, not a software issue. 3 phones, 2 different manufacturers, it's got to be something with the watch itself. Given that so many others have had a similar issue, I think it must be a quality problem in the manufacturing process. I don't do any crazy or extreme sports and never slammed or damaged my watch. I don't know why it would suddenly have this issue. 

• Interesting, you may be right. But I honestly believe that it is a firmware problem with the watch - my BT worked 100% on my FR 245 non-music until last August, when firmware upgraded (i guess it was 5.20 update?). Since then, i also changed my phone and no improvement happened. So the problem is definitelly inside the watch - but i would bet on firmware, not HW. The tiny changes / improvements i only notice with each firmware update, when some functionalities start working SLIGHTLY better after updates (e.g. live-track auto-start)

• Today the watch upgraded to v7.20 => same issue

Is someone at Garmin that is working on this bluetooth issue?
    If yes, did he succeed to reproduce this issue?

(for me it seems a regression in the firmware because it was working fine last year)

• I agree, I am in a situation now where I have to reconnect my watch and phone a minimum of 3 times every day.

This is not fun at all