This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Forerunner 245 skin issues

Hello All, 
I am garmin user for more than 6 years now (forerunnner 610 - forerunnner 235 and now forerunner 245) 
I Bought the watch last year at july and was using it whole summer 24/7 for training (run and bike) washing and cleaning the watch after every training session. 
The same patter was followed for whole winter and this year for summer too, please note that i am living in Greece with hot weather. 
For first 3months this summer everything was just fine when suddenly red skin rash became on my left wrist. 
I switch wrists and started using in on my right wrist and after 2 days (while cleaning the watch as usual drying the skin and  the watch) rash and red  itchy skin showed up on right wrist as well. 
I took off the watch for few days, the red skin was kinda calm down but almost immediately when wearing it become furius again. 
Advised dermathologist and was told that it's skin reaction to watch surface, caused by materials used in watch ! 
The worst thing that doctor said is despite the rash and red skin, scars visible now on both wrists are PERMANENT and will remain for the rest of my life.
Please note that i have no allergy to any external factor and never had issue with previous garmin products. 
I contacted garmin support since after research i noticed that i am not the only one and garmin answer was to took it off and clean it (WHICH I ALREADY INFORM THEM MULTIPLE TIMES THAT IS HAPPENING SINCE THE DAY 1) 
At this point i am totally disappointed with garmin answer and support 
What was the answer from garmin when you inform them about the issue ? 

• Check the connection pins on the watch, I had this problem and after checking the pins I noticed that the golden stuff on them was gone so probably it was creating an allergic reaction on my skin. Now use a bit of Mueller tape and a tiny piece of paper or something like that under the tape to cover the pins and every time I charge the watch I change the piece of tape and paper 

• I have a similar issue, certainly not due to the pins (rash is on opposite side of arm). Never reacted to rubber bands of other manufacturer before. But this problem keeps popping up for me despite cleaning the watch after each run.

I contacted support 20 days ago, still waiting for an answer..

• I have the same problem. I bought a new garmin 245 music in noven´mber 2020 and get my my "red skin" on the inside wrist after 2 weeks. (not clockside). I changed wrist and the red come om the other hand. I have never been allergic to anything. Now I try to just use when training.

• Try Cleaning the Watch With 70% Rubbing Alcohol instead of Soap and Water. This Works 4 me.

Clean the Wrists as well and apply Over the Counter Antibacterial Cream (Bactroban or Generic)

For Long Run Activities I use a Chest Strap.

For Cycling Activities I use Chest Strap + Garmin Mount for Bicycle.

• Thanx. I will try!

• I gave up on the Garmin strap and bought another strap off Amazon which hasn't caused me any issues at all. Shame really as I never had any strap problems with my last watch (FR230).

• Which one did you get and has it continued to work for  you?

• Well, for me it was similar at the very beginning. First I was wearing it to tight but quickly figured out that measures are fine even it it is not so tight but also not moving around your wrist. What is most important is to let the skin breathe so for a night period when I go to sleep I wear it on the other wrist to let the skin regenerate for  more or less 8h. The red went off and it is fine now, but when you heard from the doctor it is permanent change it makes me think more about it. Take care mate.

• We are sorry to hear about the issue you are reporting. The skin irritation may be a result of build-up on the watch band and/or casing. You should discontinue wearing your watch until your skin has healed. Please review the following FAQ that provides important information regarding the wear and care of your Garmin watch: https://www.garmin.com/watch-fit-and-care/

If you feel that this issue warrants further discussion please reach out to Garmin Product Support via Garmin Support Center