This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

VO2 Max on my Forerunner 245 is completely broken

The first time I run with my watch, it told me my VO2 Max is 61 (which is pretty high but I'm also very young (17) and fit), but every time I completed a run, my VO2 max started decreasing.
I thought this was normal because it needed a few weeks to really calculate my VO2 max accurately so after a few weeks, it should give me a stable number but that didn't happen. It kept dropping to 58 and lower.
I bought a chest heart rate strap to get more accurate results, but it kept dropping.
It just completely drives me nuts that my watch says my VO2 max keeps decreasing after every single run since I bought the watch even though I can run faster than a few months ago while having a lower heart rate which proves I'm improving.
My VO2 max has only improved once and straight after that, it decreased again...
This is my VO2 max in Garmin Connect:
Here's my VO2 max trend line but down to the 0,01 (instead of the single-digit number Garmin Connect shows (I use a tool which can extract the VO2 max estimate from the .fit files which has your VO2 max estimate value down to 0,01)):
The weird thing is that I see a lot of people on the internet who are having the same issue and they're all using the Forerunner 245.
When I look at the VO2 max trend others are having (like with their Fenix 5, Vivoactive,...), I see their VO2 max sometimes increases with 3-4 (!) in just 4 weeks which means they really get an accurate result. My VO2 max keeps dropping with about 0,2-0,4 every single run so about every 20 days, my VO2 max drops with 1 in Garmin Connect.
I would really like to get an answer from Former Member or .
I've already contacted Firstbeat about this issue/problem but they can't explain why this is happening.
EDIT: maybe also something interesting to note: my VO2 max indication on the web version of Garmin Connect is just empty even though my watch measured my VO2 max yesterday and the mobile app does show my VO2 max.
When I click on it to see more info about my VO2 max, it shows me the number but doesn't have the visual indication it normally has (which shows you how "good" your VO2 max is):
EDIT 2: Here's my VO2 max trend from Runalyze which seems to be a lot more accurate since it's improving. I think my Garmin VO2 max will decrease until it's at the same of my Runalyze VO2 max and then it will be accurate:
Here are some more people on Reddit who are having the same issue:
  • Your initial measurement was obviously wildly overestimated, and it's gradually correcting itself with more data.

Are you looking at the corrected Vo2 values on Runalyze?

For aerobic improvements in training, you need to stay in a zone that allows the body to utilize oxygen for energy (as a primary energy source). In other words, training just below to just above your LTHR should elicit the most benefits.

Of course you'll make aerobic improvements training in other zones, but as a secondary adaptation to the goal of the session.

What has you're training looked like? Distance, pace, hr, time in zones...

As a side note, I'm curious if you are currently able to meet the Predicted Race Times for a 5km, 10km, half marathon distance.

They may overreach on the estimate a bit, but I'd think if your Vo2 was what you think it is, those race times should be easy to hit.

• Hi, just like you said, my initial measurement will probably be overestimated but I think my VO2 max could be in the high 50s. I'm 17 years old and did a lot of sports when I was younger.

What do you mean with the corrected value? The graph from Runalyze is the "Effective VO2 max" graph.

So I started running about 4 months ago but I almost only did 5km tempo runs. This week I started a half marathon plan so my training would be more varied and I have a goal to work to.

This is the plan I'm following: https://www.roadrunnersports.com/blog/8-week-half-marathon-training/

Here are some activities for you to look at (I do use the Garmin GRM-Run to get accurate hr measurements):

10K I did yesterday: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/5256795861

A little fartlek session: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/5227612894

And a 5K run: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/5099539667

I think my Race Predictor times are doable but they would require a lot of training. Here are my predicted times:

5K: 19:21

10K: 42:00

My current records are (keep in mind I haven't run for my best time yet, I just go out and sometimes get a PR "on accident"):

5K: 23:21

10K: 49:25

Also sorry for my bad English, I'm Dutch ;)

• You are not  in the high 50's.

Your 5km and 10km times are much closer to a low 40s Vo2.

4 months of running in a zone that was far to high for your current fitness. And 17 yrs old with an athletic background is not enough for a Vo2 in the high 50s. The prerequisites arent there.

The predicted race times on your Garmin are what you could expect to achieve at the current Vo2. If you truly believe you have it, go after thos times. Do the 5km, 10km and half over a couple weeks and see how you match up.

If I had to guess, you wont even come close to a sub 20 5km (a pace of <4:00 /km) or 42 min 10km ( a 4:12 /km pace)

Runalyze breaks Vo2 down into several numbers depending on what section your looking at. You want to find the corrected Vo2 values.

• My 5K and 10K times might be "closer to a low 40s Vo2" but those are not my best times. My 10K easy run yesterday was 20 seconds slower than my 10K PR which again shows that I can do a lot better regarding my 5K and 10K times.

Also, Runalyze gives me an effective VO2 max (VDOT) of 51 for my 10k run yesterday. Since VDOT is almost always lower than your actual VO2 max, it would be higher than 51.

• Do a 10km TT on monday and see how you stack up*. At 51 Vo2, you should finish your 10km in 40-41 minutes.

That's all the advice I can provide.

*You should easily hit the predicted 10km time on your Garmin at a 51. A 42min 10km would have a predicted Vo2 of 49ml/kg/min. 

• I will stick to my training plan for now but after I've run my HM, I'll do a 10km TT.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago in reply to Mr_BananaPants

hi ,

care to verify your heart rate zones on all Garmin Platforms ?

check Garmin Connect Web, Garmin Connect Mobile and the Watch

sync again from within Garmin Connect Web

happy & safe sporting

• Hi

My heart rate zones are set in my watch, the Garmin Connect app, and the web version of Garmin Connect.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago in reply to Mr_BananaPants

hi,

and they are the same Slight smile

guess you had them setup in Runalyze

sometimes after a firmware update these settings go wrong

no harm done checking

while busy checking also check max hr setting

happy & safe sporting

• They are all the same. My VO2 max didn't change because of a firmware update. My max hr is also set correctly on all platforms.