This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Lactate threshold - new feature?

I've read that garmin calculates lactate threshold via firstbeat method that uses all the data available on the 245 model (heart rate, pace,...) Do you think it's possible to expect it in the future update, as all other brands are implementing it in the budget models? It would be a nice add on for a bit more serious use of heart rate zones...

• Lactate threshold is kinda "reserved" for more expensive watches in this generation even if it is possible from the hardware standpoint. Garmin does a lot of feature based segmentation with their devices - why would anyone buy a "more advanced" watch if all the features could also be found on the cheaper models?

Maybe we'll see it in the next generation of cheaper watches. 

• Don't you think this is basically the only feature that is available for this watch to calculate and it's not included which is just stupid. If I remember, before they rolled out the new 245 watch, it was promoted with LT included. For instance I bought additionally the HRM RUN and it would be great if it would calculate it, if not 245 by itself then in cooperation with HRM RUN.

• Is there a way using your data from Garmin connect to work out lactate threshold? sending data to other apps or websites etc?

• The lactate threshold can be calculated manually. Running 30 minutes. The first 10 minutes a weak run as a warm-up. The last 20 minutes is the strongest run possible for you. Take your average heart rate for the last 20 minutes - this is the threshold of lactate.

• Is this what the "Garmin Lactate Threshold guided test" is? Is it possible to manually re create the Garmin test with a garmin workout? cheers

• I have noticed on the 245 watch itself, if I go into the widgets History>Activities>select an activity, then scroll down 2 times to Training effect and then hit select, the first screen shows Training effect Aerobic/Anaerobic. If i scroll down one, it states on top half of screen "Impacting Lactate Threshold" and underneath another message "Maintaining anaerobic fitness". These messages can change from session to session.

Have not looked for lactate threshold on the garmin connect app.

So i guess garmin does incorporate some metrics regarding lactate threshold on the 245.

• Is this what the "Garmin Lactate Threshold guided test" is?

No. This is a common lactate threshold test that anyone can do manually. The Garmin test, like the medical test with a mask, is a little different. And yet this is a fairly accurate method, which is done in a transparent way.

• Your average heart rate in a 20 min maximum effort attempt, will be far above your lactate threshold.