This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin 245 Music Pool Swim not registering all laps

Hi using the Garmin 245 Music for pool swim and its just not recording correctly.  I swim continually without stopping but when i look at the activity it looks like i have stopped on several occasions and no laps registered.  Quite frustrating, am i doing something wrong.  Out of the last 5 swim only 2 of the 5 have recorded correctly.  This morning i was missing about 200m-300m from my swim.

• Hi! How do you do your turn after a pool length?

It helps if you have a strong push away from the wall and try to glide at least 1-3 seconds through the water after the push, this will help the device to recognize that you did a turn. I get pretty consistent lap counting this way with few errors.

• I will try that.  To be honest I know this might sound stupid but just back swimming and want to do a triathlon this year so was trying not to take the benefit of the wall each time as I won’t have a wall in the sea.. this is what my Garmin is telling me.  All those gaps and I was actually swimming. 

• I don’t really know how to explain the gaps right now, but in general the lap/turn detection is done by the accelerometer (not GPS, which is not used for pool swimming), so it needs some minimum amount of force/movement change to recognize a new lap ;)

If you swim continuously without any kind of push this will confuse the watch, which may result in those gaps you are seeing.

Do you have Auto Pause turned on?

My suggestion would be to do a test swim with strong pushbacks at the turn and see if that improves the lap counting.

• Ok will def go back to normal on wed and see if this works.  Is auto pause/ auto rest.  It’s not turned on, is that right and what does it mean? 
    thanks for all the input 

• Auto Pause will automatically recognize when you stop swimming, and end the recurrent Intervall and start a new one when you start swimming again.

It is a cool feature but I noticed it’s very sensitive, so sometimes when a turn would take too long it would trigger the Auto Pause and mess up my lap counting. I turned it off and I am manually using the back button to start and end a pause.

I was just asking about it because I thought it could be an additional explanation for the gaps you are seeing. I would leave it off for now.

• No problem, hope this helps!