This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Do I need dynamics pod with a Forerunner 245

I am considering purchasing the Forerunner 245 to replace my VivoSmart HR+ for Running.   When I went to purchase they are selling the dynamics pod with it as optional.  I am not really understanding what the dynamics pod will add that the watch doesn't already provide.

• If you get the running dynamics pod, you'll get advanced metrics like vertical ratio (how much you go up and down compared to how much you are going forward.  Too much bounce is wasted energy) and ground contact time ratio (how balanced you are left-right) and more.  I'm not convinced the metrics are all that useful, but some are interesting to see.  They can give you an indication of your form and it can be interesting to see if that changes (or, how much it changes) when you're fatigued.  The reason why the watch doesn't do that by itself is Garmin needs an independent sensor at the midline of your body to measure up/down type motion.  You can either do it with a RD pod, or with a HR strap like the HR-Run.

It's kind of interesting, but I don't think the running dynamics are that useful.  I don't bother with them.

www.youtube.com/watch

• No, but if you're a data junkie like me you're still going to buy it.

--

I had mine for two days until I lost it.  The clip failed to keep it attached and it was gone in the surf. I contacted support, but was told the clip wasn't defective in spite of it failing at its only job. I was informed I could return it if I wasn't happy (comment from the vendor, not support).

My sour grapes aside, it provided me three unique data points.  It's useful data if you're working to improve your efficiency.  If you film yourself and then try to correct issues, the pod could help you analyze your progress after your run.

1. Balance. (unless you're injured or have chronic physical issue, it's likely going to be in the 49-51% range)

2. Ground contact time.  (cool and lets you adjust your technique)

3. Vertical oscillation (something to evidence if you''re getting more efficient)

That said, it's a gadget that doesn't replace getting out and running. If a $50-$80 purchase makes you happier and keeps you running then go for it. In my hierarchy of needs, it came after two pairs of shoes, new headphones, ice packs, and compression socks. And yes, for that very brief moment it stayed attached, it made me happy.

Even if you're obsessive about form and data analysis, I doubt you would use it every run.  Maybe once every couple of weeks.

• I find that distance and pace are much more accurate than GPS. I would strongly recomend that for this reason alone you run with a footpod.

I have no expirance with the Garmin footpod.

• This is an example of why running (in a built-up area) gives poor pace and distance statistics. I ran in a straight line on the left-hand side sidewalk. Without a footpod I get about a 5% distance increase.

The best footpods can give much more accurate distance and pace statistics. 

This is just an inherent feature of GPS, all manufacturers have the same limitations.

GPS example

• We're talking about the running dynamics pod here, not a footpod. A running dynamics pod won't help with pace and distance.

• 5445227 said they are not familiar with Garmin's running dynamics pod. I think they're pointing out there are other pods out there that can do more. I suspect they're referring to a Stryd which not only gives you running dynamics, but is great for distance and pace as well. 

• 5445227 said they are not familiar with Garmin's running dynamics pod.

Where? All I can see is:

I have no expirance with the Garmin footpod.

A footpod is not a subject of this discussion, as OP's original post implies.

• I had wrongly assumed that the running dynamics pod was a foot pod and that it could provide pace and distance. Now that I know that it can’t provide pace and distance and that it bases all of its calculations on the pace and distance from the watch I would suggest that the OP saves their money and puts it towards a device that can provide pace and distance as well as the other running dynamics metrics. There is no point calculating power or any of the other running dynamics metric from inaccurate pace and distance.

I have read an article that suggests that there is a Garmin foot pod that does provide accurate pace and distance (https://fellrnr.com/wiki/GPS_Accuracy) I don’t know it is still available.