This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

HRM on the Forerunner 245

Why is the HRM on the Forerunner 245 so inaccurate? Don't put this feature in your watch if you need to use a chest strap for better results. Waisted my money on this product as I can't rely on it especially during HIIT

• There is no reliable wrist HR measurement as this is simply the wrong place for the heart rate measurement during activities as it is constantly moving. If you are like me and can't stand a chest strap, Polar OH1 is a good alternative. I use it with my watch for intervals or tempo runs.

• I too am using a Polar OH1 with Forerunner 245 but have not found a reliable way of knowing for sure if the watch is using the OH1 before starting a run. I connect the OH1 but the have the following questions:

On start Run (normal) is there any difference in the HR lock icon between the watch using inbuilt optical HR and the OH1?

When using a calendar workout I don't even see the heart icon so it's even worse?

Apologies for the questions but just wondering if you have the answers...

• On start Run (normal) is there any difference in the HR lock icon between the watch using inbuilt optical HR and the OH1?

When you go to start a run (or any activity), you'll have the sensor icons flashing on the top part of your screen. The icons will go solid once a connection is made. An external HR monitor will have a heart icon.  If there's no external HR monitor to connect and you are using the oHRM, the heart icon won't be present. 

• What tess wrote was useful to me as well. I just bought my 245 a few days ago and have learned to pair it with my old Polar H10.

If you want a way to confirm the connection, this is what I did: I started a workout and then removed the watch from my wrist. I looked to see that the optical HR monitor lights were off (they were). Then I looked at the face of the watch to see if it was still showing my heart rate (it was). Lastly, with the watch off my wrist, I walked up and down the stairs a few times to check if the displayed heart rate changed as it usually does with this kind of effort (it did).

• Long Press "UP", scroll down until "Wrist Heart Rate". Disable Wrist Heart Rate. Connect OH1. If you get a beat, it's from the OH1.

• You can simply look beneath the watch as well. If you see a green light, watch HR sensor is working, if it is dark it is off.